Intensive plastering courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody done one of those intensive plastering courses? If so, are they any good and would you recommend it?

There are lots advertised in the South which I might have a stab at, if they're much cop!!

In theory it looks like I could save a bundle skimming my own walls, but surely it's not that simple?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Nice! I was thinking maybe four days though - hahaha!!

Think it depends on what ability you have in the first place. I dont think someone who has never handled a floating trowel and hawk could become as good as a pro after only 4 days.

Sponsored Links
Did one for 6 weeks last September as i was made redundent and part of the redundency package was any 6 weeks re training. The course was superb and i am now self employed earning £800 a week on average.

i

the intensive courses in any way are ok, depends on your ability, but reality is down to experience, the more practice you do the better you get.
if you are practising on a customers house it gets quite expensive, if it's your own it doesn't matter that much.
my opinion is go for it, its the only way you'll know if you can do it.

ian

Go for it - I did one last year and then practiced, practiced and practiced some more. I then practiced a bit more too. And more still.

As you've already pointed out in a round about way, it's not as simple as doing the course and being fully competent in four or five days but it's a basis on which to start.

I'm still learning and will still be learning for a long time to come yet.

Many plasterers will state that to be a plasterer you need to have served an apprenticeship and worked your way up over the years. That's not strictly true. Yes, people who've done it this way will find it easier but everyone has to start somewhere and unfortunately I wasn't able to afford taking four years out to serve an apprenticeship.

Regards

Fred

It should be illegal to advertise yourself as a 'plasterer' when you are just a rank amateur.

Imagine a gas fitter with 5 days experience working on your house and charging the same rate as a fully qualified one?

If you can **** you can paint..........if you can poo you can plaster.......and if you **** in old paint cans and hide them in cupboards, your`e a master plasterer ;) :LOL: :LOL:.........I`ve just read a news article where a house collapsed because a plasterer wasn`t corgi reg :LOL:

It’s not an easy skill to learn but I would say go for it. You’ll quickly discover if you have a knack with a trowel & an understanding for how the various products behave & an intensive course will give you a better grounding than starting from scratch on your own. You then need to practice, practice, practice & then some more; you will inevitable make mistakes, hopefully not big ones!

joe-90 said:
It should be illegal to advertise yourself as a 'plasterer' when you are just a rank amateur.

Imagine a gas fitter with 5 days experience working on your house and charging the same rate as a fully qualified one?

**** off Joe - go and play with your little cock some more and come back when you've grown out of continuous mastur bation, got yourself a girlfriend or boyfriend and grown up a little. Please.

You're really not wanted round here. You have very little (if any) positive input, seem to do nothing but abuse people and I suspect do not have the respect of a single member of these forums.

Touched a raw nerve huh?

Would you get your car fixed by a 5 day mechanic? Or your teeth by a 5 day dentist? Then why should anyone pay someone believing them to be the real deal plasterer with years of an apprenticeship behind them when in fact they are mere amateurs with 5 days of experience?

joe-90 said:
Touched a raw nerve huh?

The only raw nerve Joe is your persistent negativity, a negativity which may deter some people from joining these forums, or some new members to not return.

joe-90 said:
Would you get your car fixed by a 5 day mechanic? Or your teeth by a 5 day dentist?

Yes, I would. If they know what they're doing then why not?

joe-90 said:
Then why should anyone pay someone believing them to be the real deal plasterer with years of an apprenticeship behind them when in fact they are mere amateurs with 5 days of experience?

I hide nothing Joe. Nothing at all. I tell people what I am. I don't tell people that I've been plastering for years. I don't tell people that I have an apprenticeship behind me. I tell people how it is. I also charge accordingly. When I've got a few years under my belt I'll be charging double what I charge now. But until then I'm happy to earn less and learn more.

I also have much more than 5 days experience Joe. I've been plastering for a few years on development properties. All self taught. I did a short course last October in order to improve my skills and knowlege and to improve my speed and finish. I then practiced persistently until March before finally letting myself loose. It's all very well plastering on my own properties in my own time but I wanted to become faster and I wanted to learn additional techniques from others which is why I did the course.

The only thing a time served plasterer really has that I don't is experience of different situations - the ability to look at something and know exactly how the plaster is going to react and exactly how their day I going to go. I can't do that. But I'll learn. I will also put something right if I've done it wrong.

Tell me Joe, how did you become a plasterer? Did you serve an apprenticeship? Are you bitter because it took you a good few years of your life earning **** all as an apprentice in order to learn something that someone with a bit of intelligence could learn in a few days and some extra practice?

Or maybe you're not a plasterer Joe. Maybe you just want to be.

I'm not a plasterer though I can plaster well enough. BTW, if you are making so much dosh in property development - why are you earning peanuts as a wannabe plasterer?

joe-90 said:
I'm not a plasterer though I can plaster well enough.

Ahh, I see. No further questions your honour. Case closed.

joe-90 said:
BTW, if you are making so much dosh in property development - why are you earning peanuts as a wannabe plasterer?

Did I say how much I've earned?

I've made enough thank you. But it's only ever been a part time thing. A hobby, as and when something catches my eye - I don't go hunting properties.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back