Interior light issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe simple or maybe not, in the middle of doing the living room and changing the three wall lights. The new wall lights have a live, neutral, and earth and the old ones just have live and neutral. So you can see the problem, where does the earth go on the new wall lights?

I've looked at the light switch and its 3 core so not sure where the earth has gone to the other wall lights, the old wall lights appear to have a shielded type of block connector but its recessed under the plaster.

Would I be able to put the earth to the body of the wall light or would that not work?

Many thanks in advance people:)

Sponsored Links
simple

you need a cable that has an earth connected, if yours does not change the cable

Do not use fittings that rquire an earth without one.

would you drive a car with no brakes?

The earths may have simply been chopped off on the cables in the wall - look close to the sheath for a bare copper conductor.

But you'll also need to find the other end of the cable and make sure that the earths are not cut off there as well, and also check continuity back to the earth terminal in your consumer unit...

Sponsored Links
Agreed.

If the wiring has been fiddled with by the sort of person who would cut the earth back, who knows what else he might have done?

I think it was just done to tidy it up as the previous lights only had neutral and live, will play safe then and get some lights with just was i have.

Thanks folks.

Rich-J said:
Maybe simple or maybe not, in the middle of doing the living room and changing the three wall lights. The new wall lights have a live, neutral, and earth and the old ones just have live and neutral. So you can see the problem, where does the earth go on the new wall lights?

Isn't it funny how I read that completely differently to you lot?

I read it that the new wall fittings are Class I and the old ones are Class II.

Where does the cpc go? In the earth terminal.....

Went for plaster style wall lights which are double insulated so problem sloved, thx for the help people:)

securespark said:
Rich-J said:

Isn't it funny how I read that completely differently to you lot?
I'm as guilty as everyone else of not reading it properly, or a least of making an assumption about the problem.

I read it that the new wall fittings are Class I and the old ones are Class II.
Indeed.

Where does the cpc go? In the earth terminal.....
But I honestly don't think that if someone had intact T/E emerging from the wall, and had a light with terminals that were labelled Live, Neutral and Earth that he'd be asking where to connect the earth wire.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back