Interior lights dim when anything is switched on!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I'm just after some opinions on something that is really annoying me. I have just bought a brand new house, built in february, and today noticed an odd problem. If any of the light are on in the house, when something that is plugged into the wall is switched on, all the lights dim slightly. Then when the appliance is turned off, the lights brighten back up :eek:

I first noticed it when the missus was in the shower, as its a cheap one it kicks in to heat the water, then turns off and back on etc, and noticed the lights dimming and brightening every minute or so. I tested it with the kettle switched on and it does the same, it even does it when you plug the hoover in!

I'll be phoning the company that installed and certified the electrics but just wanted some peoples opinions on what it could possibly be. Also, the house is semi detatched, and next door appear to have the same issue.

Thanks for any advice given,

Arron.

Sponsored Links
It is volts drop.

Probably noting to worry about, and it is usually caused by an undersized supply cable or supply transformer, and it is unlikely that the DNO will upgrade.

Thanks for your reply, is this likey to effect any equipment in the house? I work from home and will have 3 computers minimum running pretty much 24/7 :confused:

Sponsored Links
Its is however possible that such a problem could indicate a bad connection somewhere on the main tails

Lights dimming a bit when shower on is pretty normal (L-N loop of 0.13 here and its still noticeable), with domestic appliances still not unheard of when supply is quite high impedance, but it is a little less common

Next time the shower is on, investigate the meter and CU area, feel things to make sure they arn't getting warm and make sure you can't smell any burning/overheating and can't hear any crackling/buzzing/etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back