interior paint query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am currently doing a college assignment and need to find out some information about interior decorating paint...

are all porous paints solvent free?
also are non - porous paints all solvent based?

also does anybody have ideas of the advantages and respective disadvantages about porous and non-porous paints

i hope somebody can supply me with some useful information

many thanks

Sponsored Links
also are non - porous paints all solvent based?

No.....some microporous paints are oil based such as Dulux weathershield gloss and undercoat

Most micro porous paints are water based.

Microporous paints allow the surface to breath..contract emulsion is probably the most basic kind..good for plaster walls that may have a slight moisture content.

Microporous finish paints such as glosses etc do the same thing, they can help avoid blistering of the paint film caused by trapped moisture.

But they only work if the are used from the start...putting them over existing traditional paints is a waste of time.

Disadvantages...I find they (finishing paints) dont cover very well..they tend to be full of the binder or carrier to give them elasticity

To my knowledge, the answer is "yes".

However, there is special "porous" solvent based paints. They are called microporous.

are non - porous paints all solvent based?

To my knowledge, the answer is "yes".

However, there is special microporous oil based paints which are solvent based.

Zampa: [/i]No.....some microporous paints are oil based such as Dulux weathershield gloss and undercoat

How long has Weathershield gloss/uc been microporous?

Sponsored Links
For example, each part of the Weathershield Exterior Gloss System is formulated to do a specific job, and has a carefully balanced set of properties, including a suitable level of moisture vapour permeability, working together they help to keep the moisture content of the wood below levels at which timber decay can become a problem.

Phew!...from the Dulux site..

I thought for a moment I was going to have to bow my head in shame then..

But in all fairness it isnt sold on the strength of that.

Well Zampa - if you believe that, you'll believe anything.

First, let me just say that dulux Trade Weathershield Gloss/uc, is fabulous paint however it most certainly is NOT microporous.

Burn off any window sill previously applied with Weathershield and it will be wet, steaming and more than likely rotting underneath because it can't breathe.

Dulux don't claim that Weathershield Gloss/ uc is microporous and the simple reason they don't claim this, is, because.........it isn't and it never has been.[/u][/i]

Growler said:
Well Zampa - if you believe that, you'll believe anything.

First, let me just say that dulux Trade Weathershield Gloss/uc, is fabulous paint however it most certainly is NOT microporous.

Burn off any window sill previously applied with Weathershield and it will be wet, steaming and more than likely rotting underneath because it can't breathe.

Dulux don't claim that Weathershield Gloss/ uc is microporous and the simple reason they don't claim this, is, because.........it isn't and it never has been.[/u][/i]

suitable level of moisture vapour permeability

Isnt that microporous then??

But heres some more oil based micro porous oil based ones anyway..

Linseed or soya oil-based undercoat
Soya oil-based paints are quick drying while linseed oil paints tend to be slower drying. Both are microporous and provide an excellent base for further coats. Two coats are needed in exposed areas.

Solignum Architectural Solvent Based Opaque Woodstain
Solvent-borne, microporous, flexible, opaque low-sheen finish for all exterior joinery. No primer required on bare timber. Will not flake or crack. Ideal low-maintenance paint for cladding, facias, fences, windows, doors etc. BBA Cert. 5 Years.

Osmo Opaque Gloss Wood Stain has been specially developed to deal with these problems. The oil based finish can be applied easily and it is highly yielding.
The surface of the wood receives an opaque, microporous and silk sheen finish. Opaque Gloss Wood Stain is water-repellent, weather-proof and UV-resistant

MICROFLEX OPAQUE WOOD TREATMENT
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
A medium to high build microporous, flexible and highly durable opaque coating for all interior and exterior wood surfaces,
including fencing as well as smooth hardwood and softwood surfaces...

2.3.9 MOISTURE VAPOUR
PERMEABLE (MVP) OR
MICROPOROUS COATINGS
A paint system which allows moisture vapour to
permeate through the dried film, but will not
allow liquid water through. Such coatings allow
the moisture content of timber to escape without
causing the paint to blister or flake. Two types
are available:

(a) Spirit thinned MVP coatings
Composition
Pigment Titanium white and a range of light
fast pigments so give a full colour range.
Film-former Oil modified alkyd resin.
Thinner White spirit.
Properties
Mid sheen to full gloss.
Good flow.
Excellent flexibility.
Excellent durability.
Non-reversible coating.
Low maintenance.
Use All interior and exterior finishes. Can be
applied over any bare timber substrate, or
directly onto similar coatings in sound condition.

(b) Water thinned MVP coating
Composition
Pigment Titanium white and a range of light
fast pigments to give a full colour range.
Film-former Acrylic resin.
Thinner Water.
Properties
Semi-gloss finish.
Good flow.
Excellent flexibility.
Excellent durability.
Non-reversible coating.
Low maintenance.

suitable level of moisture vapour permeability

Isnt that microporous then??

No.
Unsuitable would be more appropriate ;)

MOISTURE VAPOUR
PERMEABLE (MVP) OR
MICROPOROUS COATINGS

Yes!...;)

Can we agree on one thing though...they are both cwap? :LOL:

Dulux Weathershield Undercoat & Gloss allows miosture through it, even though it is an Solvent-Based Product.

Therefore, by letting miosture through, then it must be porous to some degree.

If wood already has to much miosture in it, but then it is painted with mentioned Dulux System, then it will eventually blister and/or flake. i.e. it is down to the paint applicator person to asses if it is suitable for the wood and enviroment in question.

This system is only intended for brand new wood that has never been painted. In my opinion.

Also Dulux Trade do not currently write on the tin that is Microporous due to legal reasons. As this would put the reader in the belief that any amount of miosture will pass through it. Just like with Thompsons Damp Seal.

Third_eye;
Don't know where you get this from..
Also Dulux Trade do not currently write on the tin that is Microporous due to legal reasons.

The real reason is....that ICI think and say that microporosity is an "invented word"..therefore they do not make microporous paint, therefore Weathershield is not microporous.

Don't believe me...ask at any Dulux Decorator Centre and they'll tell you.

Dulux Weathershield Gloss/undercoat is not microporous.

They used to write on there tins "Growler".

Then they stopped it about 10 years ago.

Also, i get the this "Also Dulux Trade do not currently write on the tin that is Microporous due to legal reasons." from my own point of view.

Third_Eye said:
They used to write on there tins "Growler".

Then they stopped it about 10 years ago.

Also, i get the this "Also Dulux Trade do not currently write on the tin that is Microporous due to legal reasons." from my own point of view.

No they did not and what's more they never have.
Dulux Weathershield system has never ever claimed to be microporous.

These do:
http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/site/ourProducts.asp?range=13

http://www.johnstones-paints.co.uk/default_majestic.asp?section=14&product=15[/b]

Yes they did.................

I bought it once 10 years ago and it read Microporous, but then out of the blue they changed it ICI NAD Technology.

Also, Thompsons Damp Seal used to write Microporous but they also have stopped it.

Third_Eye said:
Yes they did.................

I bought it once 10 years ago and it read Microporous, but then out of the blue they changed it ICI NAD Technology.

Also, Thompsons Damp Seal used to write Microporous but they also have stopped it.

Prove it.

Or is it something else that's just in your head.

Prove it.

Never has it said microporous on Dulux Weathershield Paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back