Intermittent problem with CH & HW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got an intermittent problem with my heating - it is hit or miss whether the rads and hot water come on.

Yesterday morning before we went to work we had no hot water or heating, but in the evening both were fine. This morning we had no hot water but heating, this evening we have neither. This has been happening for a few days now.

We have a normal boiler with an indirect cylinder. The lights on the timer of the controller are coming on as though they are both turned on (I have also turned the controls to continuous with no luck). The boiler is firing up but none of the pipes going into the cylinder seem warm. The pump near the cylinder is humming as though it is working as far as I can tell.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The only control on the boiler I could find was a switch between off, low and high. I switched it from high to low and the radiators came on but still no hot water. Anybody got any ideas?

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well, this could be many things, but here's a few to check out:

1. Does the F&E cistern have any water in it?

2. If you open the highest rad vent (with the pump off), what comes out?

3. If you can get water out of the rad vent, and keep going until you've remove several pints (use paint drip trays, or a wet vac), then does the F&E float valve start admitting fresh water?

4. If you have two port MZVs, is at least one of them opening?

The only control on the boiler I could find was a switch between off, low and high
So which model apollo is it?

A humming pump could be a stuck pump so dont rule that out just yet.

A bit more information would be helpful.
Read THIS

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

Just to follow up on this one - we actually had an engineer out to look at it last week and he changed the faulty pressure switch (apparently)...

We did have a problem for a couple of days with the hot water not coming on but this seems to be working now.

The main priority initially was trying to get my heating back on until I could get somebody out, which I seemed to manage by switching it to "low"...

Thanks again for the help....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back