Intermittent problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a consumer unit with an RCCB and 10 MCBs, one of which runs my upstairs lights. The bathroom has 4 low voltage spots, a wall light and an extract fan (with an isolating switch). Just lately, when the bathroom lights are switched on, the RCCB trips out, but the MCB does not. All the other upstairs lights seem fine. The problem is that this does not happen every time - about 50% of the time everything works okay. The wiring is not subject to movement as it is in the loft. I have checked the wiring as best I can and cannot see any problems, except that it is a pretty messy job. The electrician seems to have used junction boxes everywhere and some of these have up to 4 or 5 cables meeting, making them very crowded. Can anybody suggest what may be causing the problem and why it does not happen all of the time. A friend has already suggested to me that I could replace the RCCB with an isolating switch as the RCCB could be too sensitive. Is this a bad idea? Any ideas welcome, as my wife is getting fed up with having to reset all the clocks.

Sponsored Links
Fitz, what type of halogen downlighters are they?

Are they fully enclosed to prevent the ingress of moisture?

If they are not, or moisture is getting in to one of them or one of the junction boxes, then this will be sufficient to trip the RCD.

That is certainly the first thing to look at.

Also check the Wall light for moisture ingress. The Fan could be the cause, but these tend to fail outright or make a lot of noise when going, but it may be worth a check if you come up blank on the other items.

Just to add, by replacing the RCD (not recommended) for a main switch, does not cure the problem, great stuff it wont trip out, but a fault could still be there.......

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice and the very prompt replies. The halogens are not fully enclosed (although they are recessed into the ceiling) and the system has not been cutting out so much lately - possibly the very dry and cold weather has temporarily eradicated any moisture.

I am going to tidy up all the wiring to ensure none of the junction boxes are open to the elements. As all this stuff is in the roofspace above the bathroom and somewhat open to the weather, I can see that they could be exposed to moisture ingress. I will also check the wall light and fan. If this does not cure the problem, I will consider changing the lights for enclosed ones.

At the rate I get things done, this may take me a few weekends, but I'll let you know how I get on. Once again ... Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back