Internal Stop Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. Our internal stop tap is located in the cloakroom. It is old and not working properly and has to be replaced.
Can the internal stop tap be sited anywhere say in the kitchen or even in the garage where the boiler is located?

2. The incoming mains service pipe is lead. We intend to replace this with blue poly 25mm. There is crawl space under the floor about 600mm. Does it need to be insulated against frost?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Stoptap can go anywhere provided it is 750mm from any external walls, or suitable lagged .

Any pipe needs frost protection

No probs, don't forget you need water company approval and inspection, before you start.

Sponsored Links
It is best situated immediately where it enters the property, otherwise, if a leak develops between that point and the stop tap you may get a flood.

sandwell said:
It is best situated immediately where it enters the property, otherwise, if a leak develops between that point and the stop tap you may get a flood.

sport-smiley-027.gif

Stoptap can go anywhere provided it is 750mm from any external walls
I come here to learn as well as help people but I never heard of that one Doitall so could you elaborate a bit please
I know the pipe outside should be 762 deep or 2'6" in old money and must enter through a duct sealed with vermin proof material etc but are you just referring to the point of entry here? I have done a couple recently and went straight through the subfloor void and connected up to where the old one was; in both cases against an outside wall in the kitchen. Water inspector never even checked afterwards and was more concerned about there being no lead pipe left in the property and trench depth.

british standards and water regs suggest the cold supply pipe should be min 750mm from any extenal wall, and if this is not possible then the pipe should be insulated.

The only situation were this is practical is were the supply pipe can enter the building close to and then be run against or within an internal wall at a distance not less than 750mm from an external wall.

For those of of us with the average UK home were the supply enters against an outside wall, the regs seem to suggest the supply pipe should be insulated from the point at which it starts its rise from 750mm below ground (within the duct) and up until the point it is more than 750mm from any external wall.

(I think) Kev tells a tale of one builder who had the supply pipe and stop tap coming up through the floor in the middle of the room.

I can see the logic in it surfacing 750mm away from outside wall as it should be clear of penetrating frost but still dont see the logic in stipulating that the stoptap should be that far from an external wall as a lot of pipes are run on the inside of external walls anyway! Does anyone know an online source so I can look it up?

Slugbabydotcom said:
I can see the logic in it surfacing 750mm away from outside wall as it should be clear of penetrating frost but still dont see the logic in stipulating that the stoptap should be that far from an external wall as a lot of pipes are run on the inside of external walls anyway! Does anyone know an online source so I can look it up?

Try

Statutory Instrument 1999 No 1148

The Water Supply (water fittings) Regulations 1999

odpm would be a good place to start[/list]

SLug you "ought" to have some books on it - Hot and Cold Water Supply by the BSI, and "the" Guide to the water supply (Water Fittings)regulations - stooge about on the WRAS site and you'll find it. Blue thing.

Then you can do a highly difficult(not) 1 day course and become a "Water Industry Approved Contractor", forever. Load of bowlegs but something else for the letterhead.

Statutory Instrument 1999 No 1148

Looked there... no joy

The Water Supply (water fittings) Regulations 1999

Found an online version ...no joy...but they wanted £16.30 + postage for a book which should have it in

odpm would be a good place to start

Only found part H which refers to drainage

SLug you "ought" to have some books on it

The books I had for adv craft plumbing by [sweet] F. HALL were printed in the 70's

I did the '88 bye-laws thing then covered it again for HNC in '93 As far as I'm aware there was nothing about it then.

Ok I havent done 99 regs and agree I should have by now but it is on my hit list after oftec now I'm back into plumbing again

I had a look on that WRAS site and found the following

Location of stopvalve in buildings
G10.5 Stopvalves should, so far as reasonably practical, be installed inside the premises above floor level, near where the supply pipe enters the building and so installed that closure of the stopvalve will prevent the supply of water to all points of use.

Nothing about stoptap being 750 away from external wall there!

Sort of found it here http://www.bsi.net/Building/Utilities/hb10178.xalter

Looks like I'll have splash 30 odd quid to get it for myself tho

I'm still looking and will post it if I can find it, but if anyone else finds it before I do please post the relevant part as I would like to see it for myself

£16.30 + postage for a book

That'll be the kiddie. If I knew where mine was I'd quote it!
I read it once, honest :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back