Internal wall demolition, catnic, needles and stand props?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking to knock through an internal wall. The wall is single brick and extends upstairs but does not support any roof structure.

I am looking to generate a 2m apeture and have been advised by my architect that a 2.4m catnic lintel will be sufficient to take the load.

Can I simply carve out a 2.4m slice of the wall, install my catnic and then work downwards removing the brickwork? Or should I really use a prop and needle approach?

Can I rest the lintel on the existing brickwork or should I a concrete padstone?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the wall extends upstairs then assuming you are putting the opening in downstairs, the wall is load bearing so you should use temporary props to support the wall above.

You should support the upper wall while you insert the lintel. What sort of Catnic lintel did your architect recommend? Do you want it inside the ceiling line or is it going to project below? Is the wall blockwork or brick? Is it running parallel with the upstairs joists or across them? If it’s across them & also supports the upstairs floor joists, it’s a lot more work & you may need an RSJ!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back