Internet Explorer 6 update problems

R

richtrace

I recently had to do a full re-install of windows me after some stupid system file went corrupt, but when I try to update from IE 5.5 to version 6.0 the darn thing refuses to install, I run the .exe file just as I did before and it downloads then installs but then says that it couldn`t install and quits. Before re-installing ME I updated from 5.5 to 6 fine! please help!!! Could Norton systemworks or firewall upset it?

Sponsored Links
I disabled Norton antivirus and Internet Security but it still won`t install! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Just had a quick read of that thread, but I still ain`t got any further, but I just found out that a file in the temporary internet folder was infected with bloodhoundexploit.18 and Norton antivirus won`t quarantine it or delete it, could this be the problem?
:confused:

If it's being reported in the Temporary Internet Files folder, then empty it from the Internet Explorer Options page or run a disk clean up and tick the temp internet files box.

It's possible also for the virus to be in one of the system restore datasets. While some anti-virus programs will detect stuff here, they will be unable to delete them. Turn off system restore, reboot the machine and then turn it on again to clear the restore sets.

As Pip has mentioned, have you installed ALL the ME updates?

Have a look at this thread, as it might be one solution.

Thanks to Igorian, I read the thread supplied and from there I tried a software called IEradicator which seems to have done the trick, it sent windows a bit crazy but IE6 installed without any problems! :D
Yippee!

Sponsored Links
Back