IP rating Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone put me straight whats the IP for a consumer unit IP4X ? For some reason I think it is.

If thats the case how can it be achieved considering the knockout holes are pretty big. Is it a matter or mounting the CU on a baord and feeding the cables from behind so no one can get a tool or fingers in?

Sponsored Links
Feeding the cables from behind would be my method of choice, BUT...
I'm pretty sure IP4X relates to the top surface on any enclosure, to stop foreign objects falling into it, and the bottom holes :)lol:- childish i know) should be to IP2X (ie standard test finger). This is easy enough to achieve using grommets.

The first digit in the IP range of 0-6 refers to the protection of persons by prevention or limiting ingress of parts of the human body or solid objects. IP4X is - the acess probe of 1.0mm diameter shall not penetrate.

I suppose if the cables came from behind there is no way you could get say a 1mm tool (screwdriver) in anyway so I suppose it satisfys the requirement. Do you agree?

Thanks for your suggestion re grommets but I suppose this only applys for standard round knockout holes in a DB, most cosumer units already have holes in the back

<I suppose if the cables came from behind there is no way you could get say a 1mm tool (screwdriver) in anyway so I suppose it satisfys the requirement. Do you agree?>

Yes.

Some DBs have holes in the back, but I prefer to make the holes exactly where I need them, ie. either taking out knockouts or GENTLY(!) using a holesaw (hence the grommets). A lot have square knockouts, not always the best!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks didnt think think of making the holes youself seems logical really

we often use something like a 50x50mm PVC maxi trunking to but upto the CU, so the entry is completely covered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back