ip rating help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would like to know if I could install an ip20 light in the bathroom, some say yes some say no, it will be 2.6m from the floor and but lightly over the bath, as shown in pictures, cheers

Attachments

• IMG20201103182949.jpg
    IMG20201103182949.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG20201103183017.jpg
    IMG20201103183017.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 170
Sponsored Links
Zone 1 is up to 2.25m zone 2 is 600mm after

so 2.85m after that you would be totally out of the zones. The below doesn’t sum that up great but the graphics you can find on google make it easier to understand.

Zone 1
Zone 1 is the area directly above zone 0 to the height of 2.25m from the bottom of the bath or shower. It also covers the width of the shower cubicle or length of the bath. Consider zone 1 to be the ‘splash zone’, where the installed equipment is likely to get very wet, very quickly but would not necessarily be submerged. Any fitting or appliance within zone 1 must be IPX4 (splash proof) or better as well as a maximum of 12v (SELV) with the transformer located beyond zone 2.

Zone 2
Zone 2 is the area stretching to 600mm outside of the bath or shower, be that above or to the sides of each. This is typically the area that is least likely to get wet but there is a possibility for it to be splashed. Any fitting or appliance within zone 2 must be IPX4 (splash proof) or better as well as a maximum of 12v (SELV) with the transformer located beyond zone 2.

Sponsored Links
I suppose floor or bottom of bath shower is not going to be too much different. Zone 2 is 600mm after that tho in each direction. Which if you went from floor still means the posters light would be in zone 2.

Personally I would not risk it there are plenty of decent high IP rated lights just fit one of those.

I suppose floor or bottom of bath shower is not going to be too much different.
That's not necessarily the case, in either direction. In one of my bathrooms, the bottom of the ('sunken') bath is about 500mm below the floor level!
Zone 2 is 600mm after that tho in each direction.
Given that the OP has told us that the light would be 'over' the bath, the 600mm (horizontal) limits are irrelevant.
Which if you went from floor still means the posters light would be in zone 2.
That's all wrong. Since the material you quoted was wrong, and the regs actually say that the zones stop at 2.25m above finished floor level, the light (at 2.6m above floor level) would not be in any zone. However, if it were less than 2.25m above floor level, since it is 'over' the bath, it would then be in Zone 1, not Zone 2.

Kind Regards, John

Hmm care to share the source for why I am wrong please. It’s all good having an opinion but I actually checked many places to confirm my information. Can you do the decent thing and do the same and show please (y)

Hmm care to share the source for why I am wrong please. It’s all good having an opinion but I actually checked many places to confirm my information. Can you do the decent thing and do the same and show please (y)

Been out the game a bit but the last OSG that i have 17th AMD1 Page 83 8.1 Fig 8.1(1) has a diagram displaying the same zones as EFLI has stated.

Last edited:
From BS7671:2018 (the current version of 'The Wiring Regulations') ...

upload_2020-11-5_18-54-36.png

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back