Is a 'Potterton Combi 80' a load of crap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into this house 3 years ago, and everytime the plumber comes round to do the annual inspection he starts tutting in the stereotypical way and moans that the boiler is cheap, crap and prone to failure!

Just wanted some confirmation of this amongst people who know.

Also, when I type 'Potterton Combi 80' into Google, the pictures look a bit different. Mine doesn't have a embossed emplem two thirds of the way down, or modern controls at the bottom. Mine has Potterton screen printed at the top lhs, Combi 80 towards the bottom rhs and the controls have an analogue timer and some ghey controls. Maybe I have a fake?! ... or more likely an older model?!, lol.

Sponsored Links
More than likely you have a fake. All the stuff inside is just a facade. If you pull it away you'll see an electric kettle - that's all there is.

Plus, it's not even a good one like they do in Argos.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Har har...

Was hoping to stumble across a comedian on one of my first posts. :)

Had no idea plumbers had a sense of humour too. :p Live and learn!

Anyone else?!...

OK, it's a cheapish, low powered, mid range boiler made in Italy although masquerading under a British name. It should supply 9.8 litres of hot water a minute and have more than enough oomph for your radiators.

Lots of people have them, some of them no doubt love them. Look on the bright side - it didn't come out of Wickes.

Oh and they are all prone to failure -it's an electro mechanical device with a built in life expectancy / obsolesence. If you want a discussion on mechanical longevity and it's affect on macro economics, well I think you're possibly in the wrong forum :D

Sponsored Links
The only problems we have with it are:

a) 15-20 second wait for hot water from taps. Goes with the combi territory I guess.

b) Losing pressure. I have to turn that plastic screw thing once a month to adjust to 1.25 when cold. Is once a month considered normal (said the vicar to the tart)?

c) The lockout light going on and hot water cutting out until reset. This has been the biggest problem by far. Flatmates shouting from the bathroom to reset the switch in tyhe middle of a shower etc.

Strange thing is, sometimes the plumber comes and it still cuts out at least once a day, and at other times it doesn't cut out for a month or so.
Is my plumber tempremental or is it the boiler?!

a) Normal
b) Not good, try finding the leak (it's a small one)
c) Not normal, your plumber does not know what he's doing - do you pay him every time he comes round?

a) Thought so
b) Oookaaaayyy..... (*getting out special leak testing equipment*)
c) He does an annual check (leased flats), but has come round on one other occaision because the lockout was become very regular (2-3 times a day).
Has only come on twice in the last 3 months! but need to get the guy out again to do a whole system flush / replacement rdiator, so who knows what will happen.

He's £60 an hour, which I think is better than average for inner London?

he starts tutting in the stereotypical way
That's OK. Reaction in accordance with British Standard BS666.

You only have to worry when he starts to suck in through his teeth.

Your combi cutting out like that is a standard problem on a combi 80. Trouble is, it has several standard problems.
Needs a bloke with a contact thermometer, who will probably be able to diagnose it fairly quickly.

Assuming that the lockout happens on HW only and not CH, then some likely pointers are:-

1) Partially blocked secondary heat exchanger. Symptoms would be a very restricted how water flow to the taps.
2) Hot water and/or overheat thermistor
3) Pump overrrun problem (usually PCB)
4) Just the PCB anyway
5) Diverter valve

The kind of leak that you have isn't really a leak at all, not even a dribble. It's a slightly damp spot in an isolated, inaccessible corner. It may even fix itself.

Is the leak you're talking about on the radiators / pipes, or do you mean the boiler itself? There's always been a tiny bit of water leaking out of the hoses below the boiler - nothing serious. But enough to cause some very minor watermarks on the surrounding paintwork. But we're probly talking about one tiny drip every few hours.

GabrielKnight said:
Is the leak you're talking about on the radiators / pipes, or do you mean the boiler itself? There's always been a tiny bit of water leaking out of the hoses below the boiler - nothing serious. But enough to cause some very minor watermarks on the surrounding paintwork. But we're probly talking about one tiny drip every few hours.

There you go, you found it. :) (is your name Lorraine?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back