Is it appropriate to tile the side of the bath !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am giving one of my rented out house bathrooms a bit of a facelift. I am fully tiling, floor to ceiling, currently the side of the bath (suite is white) has a cheapo plastic cover which over the years has discoloured and gone kinda off white. I am contemplating tiling the side of the bath to match the new wall tiles. I cannot use the existing plastic side as a) it is not flat,ie raised panel and b) I doubt that the existing panel would withstand the weight of the new tiles.

Am thinking therefore to replace the existing bath panel with some hardboard then tile over. The only problem as I see it is if ever there was a leak under the bath (taps or waste) I would have to rip out the side bath panel and destroy - perhaps I should keep a couple of boxes of tiles spare in the attic just in case of such an event - anyone any thoughts ?? - and is hardboard the best material to use, or should it be something a little more sunstantial like ply ?? - thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You will need to tile onto ply.
You will need to make a frame to support the ply & you can use mirror screws for attaching/removal. Remember it will be heavy/awkword so do it in sections.
Also seal the ends of the ply.
For rented property I dont think I would bother.

take your point about not being worth it for rented property - thanks for the other info

Easier to buy a new side panel, should be able to get one from any decent plumbers merchants.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Jasonb said:
Easier to buy a new side panel, should be able to get one from any decent plumbers merchants.

Jason

Yes I could - but have you seen the cost of those flimsy side bath panels, about £60 in B&Q - thinks its cheaper to tile !!

electricalkid
acrylic bath panel
go to a plumbers merchant not the diysheds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back