Is It Possible To Re-position Bath Taps On A Metal Bath ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have an unusual query - Can anyone please advise ?

The house we've just bought has a white metal bath which is in
very good condition so we would really like to keep it if possible.

The problem is the taps. They are not in the normal position. They
are situated on the upright end wall of the bath, just above, and on
either side of the overflow outlet.
It's the first time I've ever seen taps in this postion before.

Would it be possible to re-position them ? It would of course mean
drilling too new holes (1 inch +) and sealing up the old holes.

Is possible to do this without causing any damage to the enamel ?

If it's possible what's the best way to do it ?

Thanks in advance.

Yorkie

Sponsored Links
The enamel will chip, to minimize, use masking tape, then drill small hole first then gradually increase, IT WILL CHIP, but should probably be hidden by flange on the tap. Regard filling / hiding old hole, I think that will be more of a problem

I would have thought the bath is cast iron and probably 1/4 inch thick. I have seen core drills for drilling metal which use a diamond grit but they are expensive. Are you sure the rim of the bath is wide enough the take a tap, can the old pipwork be accessed and altered it might the old 3/4 inch stuff.

Getting taps to fit your holes is not a problem at all. Standard Globe taps are designed for that position. Wall-fitting mixers can usually be used with backnuts on the bits which would screw into wall fittings. Check the separation , but there are ways to alter it anyway. ANy good bathroom merchant shouldn't have a problem.

If you want to drill it it's perfectly straightforward, use a hole saw. The oldholes could be capped with the things you sometimes see on kitchen sinks which are reversible. They come stainless steel, chrome or white plastic.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back