Is lime plastering neccessary? (internal walls)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For relevant older properties we know it's a good idea to use lime render, does the same thing apply to internall walls? Seems if breathability is important then materials used on both sides of a wall should be considered. Or is normal plaster inherently more breathable than render, making this a waste of money? thanks.

Sponsored Links
My personal experience, in an 1890's stone house:
A previous owner has skimmed over the lime plaster - wherever this has been done, the plaster has blown.
Where the lime plaster has been wallpapered, the walls are fine; there are many small cracks, but they were easily filled.
Where the brick fireplaces have been taken back to brick and replastered, everything is fine.
Where the lime plaster was sound, but way off true, I have fixed plasterboard to them (or drylined) and skimmed - so far so good!

Pointless having lime on one side and gypsum/cement on the other
Sorry, I would disagree! :)
I had very wet external walls, render on the outside, gypsum and render as 'damp proofing' on the inside.
Removing the render on the inside, and repointing in lime allowed the wall to dry out beautifully. Moisture may still come into the wall from outside, but it is free to evaporate out again. Its not perfect, but definitely better than nothing!

Last edited:
I think we're having that old internal wall/internal side of an external wall confusion....
Can the OP clarify which it is?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back