Is my new roof any good - pictures included!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my concrete (with asbestos) garage roof removed and a new one fitted. It rained last night and there are damp patches on the roof - I didn't expect this as I was planing to insulate the roof and board it up. I will call the firm who did this to get their opinion but thought I'd get some independent info first.

Hopefully there are some pictures below of how this roof looks from the inside. I noticed that some of the nails going through the roof sheets have mastic instead of the rubber caps - I guess they ran out of caps!

Adam

roof1.jpg

roof2.jpg

roof3.jpg

Sponsored Links
OK - what syntax is the IMG tage supposed to use so I can provide the pic???

Try removing the CRs before the end tag -

roof1.jpg

roof1.jpg

roof2.jpg

roof2.jpg

roof3.jpg

roof3.jpg

OK thanks.

All I need now is some suggestions re what I should expect from a garage roof.
cheers

Sponsored Links
The very least you should expect is to get what you are paying for and that means a watertight roof. At the moment it seems that you need to speak to the roofer and get him to remedy the faults including fitting the correct screw caps . He will more than likely sort it out fairly easily for you because it is easy to pinpoint the leaks . One thing that does concern me though is the wet areas that are nowhere near a fixing hole. Are there any boards or planks laying on the roof at the minute because they may be holding and transfering moisture through the material after a downpour as it mainly seems to be the upper rolls that are the wettest ?

I'll take a look on there - hadn't thought to look for any left behind materials up there. Possibly some of these damp areas coincide with the placement of the overlap of another roofing sheet. I was also surprised that the damp patches were on the upper rolls.

The fall is not so good - not sure what the precise measurement is. They have (apparently) left a 0.5 meter overlap on the sheets to prevent water ingress due to the relatively shallow fall.

When cleaning out the garage I came across a number of pieces of the old roof that were broken off during the removal process - this I assume also means the potential for asbestos fibres in my garage, not too impressed at this stage so will call the roofing firm tomorrow to disucss.

astiling said:
The fall is not so good - not sure what the precise measurement is.
Sound like to me the fall is not enough, you only need a slight water between the sheet and a light wind which will squash the water back inside.

Had a look from on top and the overlapping sheets aren't secured near the bottom (lower end of the sheet) and they have flexed up a bit which easily allows water in. Quite concerned about the significant damp areas around the screw/nail entry points.

The roofers are returning soon to inspect/fix - will let you know the result!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back