Is there a difference with trade paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to a local cdown trade shop today for some bits and bobs and ive noticed a few times crown, along with other manufacturers, do a trade paint.

Is there a difference? I notice the stuff is a LOT more expensive than the gear you get at the sheds although some do sell trade as well.

Sponsored Links
Trade paint ususally has more of the key ingredients in them than cheaper paints. one of the most expensive ingredienets in paint is titanium dioxide. Own brand paints and non trade paints have less off this in and are bulked up with things like whitening. It ususally boils down to to "you get what you pay for".

DIY (retail) paint is designed for people who dont paint professionally..they tend to need a paint that will flow off the brush better and doesnt have a strong smell

In order for a paint to have these qualities they need to add 'extenders' to give it what is known as 'false body' like non drip gloss, in some cases they wil also use different resins that are less pungent

In order to make room for these additives they have to take something out..the pigment, thats why retail paints dont cover as well

Pro decorators dont need these qualities...they need a paint that will cover and dry quick.

Nothing wrong with retail paint really..if you have time on your hands, if a surface needs two coats to cover it then it dont matter if its trade or retail...but in some case it can meanthe difference between 2 coats and 3

Ah, I see.

Thanks guy's for clearing that up for me. I gather the overhall finish with the trade stuff is far superior then.

Sponsored Links
Not really..its more down the the handling qualities of the paint

From what I know about the paint ingredients industry it is possible to formulate different paints with massive variations in quality.

We have found trade paints far better - at the moment I am using Dulux Trade varnish and it's excellent. After that we use Little Greene Paint Company, which is superb quality too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back