is there a quiet bathroom switch?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've searched high and low on ebay for a soft, quiet bathroom switch. The one I have has a hard snappy click to it when pressed. Thus I'm always aware that people are going in and out of the bathroom. What I would really love is a high tec switch, that just activated when with the light touch of your finger. Or a very gentle push in button that only went in a few mm.

A dimmer switch is actually quite quiet, the little circular knob you press in, or turn.

Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I am loathed to replace my 1978 switches, lovely and quiet, as a mouse.

try mercury switches

From what I've read, it sounds as if your looking to use either a rocker switch or a dimmer switch - I'm not sure your allowed to use either of those in a bathroom?

Unless of course the switch is outside of the bathroom?

Second a PIR... :) We had an MK pullcord that was hellishly loud, and combined with the pullcord tendency to not be where it should be in the dark, in pressing circumstances I decided to remove it and fit a white ceiling 360degree PIR.

I have a white tiled, white painted bathroom, so the white PIR looks the part. Set the light level to switch at after some trial and error, and set the delay on the light to be about 7.5 minutes.

So now, any of us (including my 2 year old) walk in, and all you hear is a quiet click of a relay, and the lights come on. Once you finish, you can hear the very quiet click if you're listening for it of the lights shutting off again.

Very useful for night-time visits, potty training visits by little one, and those moments you need light but daren't liberate a hand to go searching.

Bear in mind the positioning/timing of a PIR if you are going to be hiding behind a shower curtain or screen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back