Is there asbestos up me chimney (no smut intended!)

Joined
6 Oct 2004
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Country
United Kingdom
Just opened up a chimney that had been sealed with plasterboard in my 1910 house. Looking up inside, the opening is partially covered by a white board. Question is... is this some form of asbestos?

There are no obvious fibres sticking out of the cut part of it, there are some slight sparkly bits if you look closely at it.

So, can I dampen it down and carefully remove it (not even touched it yet, but it might be inserted into the brickwork), or call in the cavalry?

If the latter, anyone know a reliable asbestos company in the Birmingham area?

Help! :cry:

Here is a view up my chimney (steady!) and two closeups.





 
P

plstering

id call a firm in to have a lookfirst before you start playing
then go from there better to be safe the pub refurb im on at the mo was shut for 3 weeks coz of asbestos trust me just get it looked at
 
Sponsored Links
Joined
3 Sep 2006
Messages
36,220
Reaction score
5,061
Location
West Mids
Country
United Kingdom
It's most probably asbestos cement board, but you should assume so in any case.

If you can remove it in whole - including the attached mortar, then do that and double bag it and the council will collect from the front garden.

Dampen the area, and if there is a good draw up the flue, then open some windows to maximise the draw and wear a mask.

Try not to break it in too many pieces or break the mortar off it.
 
Joined
6 Oct 2004
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I'd post an update on what happened...

After giving it some thought, I figured I'd get it tested to see if it was asbestos cement (probable - not so bad as low asbestos content and fibres are mostly bound to the cement) or asbestos insulating board (unlikely, but much nastier, has brown asbestos and readily sheds lots of fibres).

So, mask on, windows open, try and break a bit off to bag and send to the lab.

Crikey, its tough... really hard stuff. Hold on, its not bedded in to the brickwork or anything, quick wiggle and... out it comes (with a load of soot)! Into the bag, another bag and job done. Ready for the council to collect.

I have to say, I hadn't really though that I'd have asbestos in the house (yes more fool me), if a builder hadn't mentioned this could be asbestos then I'd have thought it was plasterboard and just yanked it out without any care at all! But reading around the subject reveals that there's huge huge amounts still around in people's houses. Be careful out there folks...
 
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Top