Is this a reasonable quote for work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, its been almost a year since i last posted for advise on presure loss in system.

My request this time is, are the quotes ive received reasonable.

We have bought a flat which Im going to tidy up up a bit and rent out. At the moment it has gas heating with the boiler in the kitchen and tank in a cupboard in the hall. We are fitting a new kitchen and I have had a couple of quotes to have the old boiler replaced by a new combi and moved to the hall cupboard.

First guy quoted £2100 ex vat
Second guy quoted £1700 all in, this included moving the gas meter (not sure if is actually allowd to do this) which at the moment is strangly positioned under the sink approx 18" from the wall. Also running pipe to fit a gas hob.

Both has said they would fit Worcester Greenstar 24i junior boilers.
By the way, i am in the scottish borders.

Sponsored Links
Second guy quoted £1700 inc vat, this included moving the gas meter (not sure if is actually allowd to do this) which at the moment is strangly positioned under the sink approx 18" from the wall.

no he is not but the regs say it shouldnt be under the sink FWIW ;)

Not sure about that unless rules have changed in last 3 yrs . u were alowed to move an internal meter witihin 600mm of the service valve . if u moved it within 600mm but u couldnt see the meter & the original service valve at the same time then a secondary service valve had 2 be fitted. also is the £1700 price fitter vat registered. does seem very cheep.

Sponsored Links
i am no plumber ;)

are they using copper or speedfit[plastic ]!!!!!

basic radiators or nice ones are they big enough for the room !!!!!

are you getting the same number of radiators on each quote!!!

pipes hidden or wall mounted !!!

you need to know all the details from the quotes to be able to compare like for like

also ckeck he is corgy registerd or is going to employ a corgie to fit or check his gas work

And remember, when the boiler breaks down, your tenant will give you grief because with a combi, there is NO BACKUP for hot water.

gota read slower guys no mention of new rads just the new boiler in a new location, maybe the cheap guy no's nothing about condensing boilers & how much cleaning of the old system is required. Still coming across fitters who dont fit trvs to existing bedroom rads & no room stat.

bab said:
gota read slower guys no mention of new rads just the new boiler in a new location, maybe the cheap guy no's nothing about condensing boilers & how much cleaning of the old system is required. Still coming across fitters who dont fit trvs to existing bedroom rads & no room stat.

that will be me then :D :D :D ;)

Which regulation says the meter should not be under a sink?

I thought you could only move the meter within the radius of its anaconda or lead inlet pipe?

Tony

the one i move 18" ito a brick porch 3 yrs or so ago was under the recomendation of BG or Transco (cant remember which) which they gave in writing with all requirements. i wasent convinced with the customers word but as requested the paper work was forwarded to me & the contact ref for advice also backed it up.

bab said:
maybe the cheap guy no's nothing about condensing boilers & how much cleaning of the old system is required. Still coming across fitters who dont fit trvs to existing bedroom rads & no room stat.

Tell me more about this. How much cleaning is required, I will be there while he is doing the work so want to make sure I see him doing this.

We found this guy via the corgi site so I would hope he knows what he's doing.

someone mentioned previously that the guy may not be vat regestered, he isnt, but i'm not sure thats an issue, is it?

You`re one of those watchers, then :rolleyes: I had a job for one once .......I waited till they had to go out before doing stuff they could see.....I`ll bet they quibbled the price with my Guv`nor too :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back