Is this acceptable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I wish to run four lights in two rooms in my out house (2 in each room).
I will be running them from the garage fuse box next to it. I plan to do it in a radial circuit with the first light point providing a feed to the second room as well as the switch for this room.
I wish to do it this way to avoid excessive cable from a loop.
sorry i cannot display a diagram but each point would be wired as below.
Cable 1.5 mm T&E max length 12 metres.

light point 1.
wire from fuse box.
feed to second room.
switch cable
feed to second light in room

light point 2
feed from first light only (fed from switch live at first point so they both work from one switch).

light point 3
feed from first room.
feed to second lighting point
switch cable

light point 4
Feed from switch 3

Hope this is sufficient for you.

+++++++++++++++

Sorry light point 4 should read;

feed from light point 3 not switch as written.

please note 10a

Sponsored Links
This is fine - don't forget to maintain the earth contiuity and use red or brown sleeving (as appropriate) on the switched lives.

You are aware of Part P?

Oh, and BTW -
liveandlearn said:
I plan to do it in a radial circuit with the first light point providing a feed to the second room as well as the switch for this room.
I wish to do it this way to avoid excessive cable from a loop.
This is a loop - you are looping from 1 point (#1) to the next (#3) with your circuit...

wiring_lights_schematic_diagram_2.gif

Notes - earths to switches not shown. Switch cables are more commonly red/black (becoming brown/blue with harmonisation), in which case the black/blue cores should be sleeved at each exposed end with red/brown.

ban, why does that diagram not show earths to the switches?? Could be misleading for some.

You're right - sorry - didn't really notice.

I didn't make the diagram - it could well be that the original text that accompanied it said something about earths omitted for clarity.

It also uses red/red switch cables - fairly rare.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am aware of Part P and I will have the work checked by the appropriate body when it is complete.
On this piont when I contacted my local council to see if they wanted to check cable layout etc at the first fix stage they said not they were just going to do the final checks when all was in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back