Is this an acceptable gap size between fascia and wall?

Guys it turns out what looked like the sky in the photo AND outside, was actually light reflecting. There appears to be an overhang thank god.
Also thank god for the logical part of my brain for realizing there was no way it was physically possible to have a discrepancy at different angles lol.

Sponsored Links
Can we please advise the original question though, I think its not too huge, may just get a few insects in.

Also would you recommend
felt eaves trays for the fro
IMG-20211214-WA0076.jpg
IMG-20211214-WA0079.jpg
nt of the house? The roofer said it looked okay but not sure I trust him?!

Front:

**** theres no felt there at all. my god im doomed, think ill have to sell up now

Sponsored Links
Felt was not used on old houses. They also fall apart quickly if there is a leak.

Felt was not used on old houses. They also fall apart quickly if there is a leak.
I can see water streaming down here clearly becasue I have lime render which shows the water paths soaking into it. One of the areas of render was redmanged due to another incident and has been patched up. This area has allowed water to come through again.

So seems my only option is to replace the lower 2 courses of tiles and have new felt lain asap and likely rip of prices again.

Eaves trays are very easy to DIY especially with those concrete interlocking tiles. Do you fancy having a go yourself?

Eaves trays are very easy to DIY especially with those concrete interlocking tiles. Do you fancy having a go yourself?
Right, but thought wasnt supposed to fit eaves trays without felt? There appears to be no felt at all there?

Sorry to rain on your parade (or wall in this case), and question your reliance on physics, but going back to your rear roof and earlier photos, you do not have adequate overhang into the gutters:

Screenshot_20230401-111520.png

Also, unless your roofer has used invisible screws, you are likely to lose your end hip and ridge tiles at some point:

Screenshot_20230401-110631.png

Sorry to rain on your parade (or wall in this case), and question your reliance on physics, but going back to your rear roof and earlier photos, you do not have adequate overhang into the gutters:

View attachment 299710

Also, unless your roofer has used invisible screws, you are likely to lose your end hip and ridge tiles at some point:

View attachment 299711
So the cementing is a nono? I will try and call him back, if uncooperative I doubt I can enforce anything legally when there isnt damage yet though?

Thankyou.

I'm not a roofer but I believe it's BS5534. Presumably it hasn't gone through building regs.

Right, but thought wasnt supposed to fit eaves trays without felt? There appears to be no felt at all there?

Has the felt just rotted back? The eaves trays help guide the water in to the gutter and stop splashback a little.

Has the felt just rotted back? The eaves trays help guide the water in to the gutter and stop splashback a little.
couldnt see any felt at all there when pulled the tile back, another poster suggested old houses didnt have felt, although not sure when this part of the roof was done tbh.

I would still need a tower scaffold at least to set up, so may as well pay a proper roofer to do it and add felt under bototm 2 courses.

Find the leak
The gutter isnt aligned properly, its pointing downwards from both sides at the area that I had water streaming down, my plasterer made a temporary fix until I get either him to fit an eaves tray when he gets a tower up, or a proper roofer to fully replace/put felt there for the first time.
Also he says there isnt a proper overhang of the tiles in that small section, so no idea how mucvh harder that makes it to retile after adding felt.

View attachment 299710

View attachment 299711

Thanks for looking back at it! I appreciate it.
Isnt it hard to see how much it is really overhanging from that angle though?
ALl I meant by my mentioning of physics was if I cant see any sky when directly under the roof, how would I be able to see sky when im 6 foot away from the wall taking a photo? It was really light reflection from that angle and not sky that we saw. I will take anoher photo from underneath that section and from that end in a moment.

IMG_20230401_132810.jpg
IMG_20230401_132828.jpg

IMG_20230401_132910.jpg

You are right about the cemented tiles tohugh, look its alreadyd easily liftable!

Why would the roofer cement it, and badly at that?!

Thanks all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back