Is this down lighter OK for a flat roof space please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just got some down lighters from screw fix pre-wired with the transformer. Here they are:

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=40019&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1

I was just concerned that there is no clear statement either on the screw fix site or the spec sheet that came with the lights that there is a thermal cut out out on the transfomer.

There IS the spec printed on the actual transformer itself stating: ta: 50C tc: 75C.

Do I assume the 75C is the thermal cut off?

It would seem odd to sell a "Fire Protection Pack" Downlighter without a thermal cut out transfomer .... ?

Sponsored Links
I'd be more worried about the light/transformer itself causing a fire through overheating.

If you read the PDF instructions it gives a clear installation guide which should avoid this (adequate space/ventilation)

Fire rated downlights are designed to eliminate the passage of fire through ceilings, rather than the light or transformer actually being fire-proof.

Yeah I understand the about fire passage..

Do I need these in a flat roof space?? Its a loft conversion flat roof. I could save myself a bit by just having a normal downlighter..

Anyway..The transfomer. Do I need one with a thermal cut out?? I have heared stories of people fitting three 50W MR16s to a single 120W transfomer and the trns. casing melting... "smell burning"?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
ricicle said:
I'd be more worried about the light/transformer itself causing a fire through overheating.

If you read the PDF instructions it gives a clear installation guide which should avoid this (adequate space/ventilation)

If there is no seperate dwelling above then fire rated downlighters are not a requirement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back