Is this excessive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I've just been quoted £3400 by British gas for the following - to replace a 27 year old system

Glow-worm 18HX1
Glow-wormstd horizontal flue (800mm)
Plastic coated terminal guard
Install overflow pipe (22mmx3mtr)
Controls pack (22mm 3port) prog (UP1)
Convert to fully pumped 22mm (5mtr head)
Powerflush

I've no idea is this is a competitive quote - does this sound right to the experts out there?

Cheers

MW

Sponsored Links
You will almost certainly get cheaper, but you will never get the knowledge base and back up that BG can provide in the warranty period. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Get a better quote, and if the CH system breaks down and you decide you want the equivalent of the "knowledge base and back up that BG can provide in the warranty period", but the shop is not forthcoming, simply make a banner with something 'provocative' (eg. 'Boilers live for 1yr, from here', rhyming) written on it.
They will be round to your house faster than you can say 'gas!'.

Trust me, this works - i had issues with various things in my new house, which they said they would fix, but didnt - next day "Bellway break promises" was on a bed sheet on my front wall....

You will get cheaper and better than Brit Gas but finding who that is , is the tricky bit. Brit Gas use a lot of contractors . Sterose may have a good plan but ive met some cowboys who would put his banner where he would have trouble reaching it. Word of mouth is often the best recommendation but make sure its fresh a plumbing firm is often only as good as its worst plumber ,two to six man firms are often the best. Check to see if they have proof of liability insurance , if hes not insured don't let him in. if hes offended that you ask for proof give him a story or say go.

Sponsored Links
BG often sub out work, paying the subbie about £200 per day, which is a small fraction of what you're paying. You can take out extended warranties on the boiler with the manufacturer's network forever. Much cheaper than BG 3 star cover though that does cover other things as well. BG wouldn't cover 27 yr old rads though, I think!

There isn't necessarily anything wrong with one man bands; word of mouth is a good guide. If you find someone who isn't vat registered you might get the same job done for half the BG figure.

BG were pestering me to subcontract for them, but I don't consider they allow enough time/money for the guy doing the work. Man and lad would do your job in one day, and get maybe 300 from the 3700.

Powerflushing a 27 yr old system is almost certainly necessary, but could well "find" leaks. If it's just at rad valves then not a major item, but it could be under a floor. BG might fix leaks as part of the service?? Whereas eg I, wouldn't!

Same here chris they were on my case to fit for them but i found the money very insulting so did not do it either

My opinion is that 3700 is not excessive, its a total rip off by at least 1500

prices from B+G

Gloworm Ultimate 80FF 797.71 Plus vat
Flue included
terminal included
Control pack (honey well three port valve, room stat/ cylinder stat/ 7 day prog) 76.90 Plus VAT

Cannot let you know the price of the pipe etc as i dont know how much is needed without looking.

as for the knowledge base that BG offers as an after sale service RUBBISH they get the manufacturers in if anything goes wrong like the rest of us

My humble opinion is thatBGG have a self fulfillingg status in th industry which is WE ARE THE BIGGEST ERGO WE MUST BE THE BEST Istrongly
disagree.

get a local firm/person recommended to you, ask for referencess call them to verify they are a reputable company and save yourself a few bob.

Rant is now over :LOL: :LOL:

corgiman said:
as for the knowledge base that BG offers as an after sale service RUBBISH they get the manufacturers in if anything goes wrong like the rest of us

My humble opinion is thatBGG have a self fulfillingg status in th industry which is WE ARE THE BIGGEST ERGO WE MUST BE THE BEST Istrongly
disagree.

get a local firm/person recommended to you, ask for referencess call them to verify they are a reputable company and save yourself a few bob.

No have to disagree....calling in the manufacturers is a last resort and I can guarantee you BG hate doing it, but what BG do have is a large local network of engineers plus a national technical helpdesk to go through first, which is unavaialble to small companies plus the knowledge that the company will still be there tomorrow. To some that alone is worth the extra cost.

I can see the argument for both sides....is the 3 star cover, guaranteed callout and peace of mind worth the extra dosh?...to some i guess and not to others.

if its any cosolation we have bg 3 star cover and i think its marvelous

ollski said:
corgiman said:

disagree.

No have to disagree....calling in the manufacturers is a last resort and I can guarantee you BG hate doing it, but what BG do have is a large local network of engineers plus a national technical helpdesk to go through first, which is unavailable to small companies plus the knowledge that the company will still be there tomorrow. To some that alone is worth the extra cost.

I can see the argument for both sides....is the 3 star cover, guaranteed callout and peace of mind worth the extra dosh?...to some i guess and not to others.

well like the man in orthopedic shoes I stand corrected,

My knowledge of BG is anecdotal as I only get clients that they have well and truly let down

still dont think a 1500 premimum is worth it but as you say you pays yer money yer takes yer choice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back