Is this Legal

T

timmyquick

I have ran a load of electrical cables in a corner, they are not berried but have been put in 50 mm conduit with plenty of space left inside is this allowed within the regs because they are directly in the corner?. I also want to run another cable in this conduit for an external pir light. Are you allowed to wire this light straight into the cu to a 6 amp mcb? or does it have to have a switch to make it comply with regs.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you need a switch.

To comply with the BS7671: 2001 all circuits must have: -

1. A means of control (e.g. a switch)
2. A means of protection (e.g. a fuse or MCB)
3. A means of isolation

Damm, electrics are so confusing. How come smoke alarms don't have to have a switch? and why can you buy sockets without a switch on it? just trying to learn. I now have no idea where i am to put a switch for this outside light.

Sponsored Links
SwindonSpark said:
1. A means of control (e.g. a switch)

3. A means of isolation

you can use 1 switch to do both, as long as it can

timmyquick said:
smoke alarms don't have to have a switch? .

bacon gets burnt: smoke alarm sounds: gets switch of and forgot about: pan from bacon left on: fire: death.
would you like a switch in your smoke alarm??

Lectrician said:
Next to to the CU? Maybe an MK or similar 'key' switch.

According to Hager's catalogue data, the MCB in the CU can serve as a switch too.

I fancy the mcb can be the switch. The problem comes if you want to run anything else off it as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back