isolate radiator by timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This might sound strange or lazy but it`s what I want to do.
In our house we have a radiator in the conservatory and I wish to isolate it from the system during certain hours of the day so as to not waste heat when we don`t use it for a few hours.

I have access to the pipes (15mm) under the floor inside the house, what I want to know is this:

Can I fit a 220v 2 way divertor valve to the flow (or both) pipe using 22mm to 15mm convertors and then apply power to the valve using a normal timer when I want the water to flow.

This would mean that the valve could be powered up for say 4 hours and then off again, then later on in the day, powered up for another 4 hours and then off all night.

I don`t see any reason why this wouldn`t work but if somebody does, please let me know before I do it.

Sponsored Links
Sure you can. Payback period could be long though!

Cheaper - mount trv horizontally, put 40watt light bulb under it , turned on by timer.

Or See BES.co.uk part number 15754 & 5 and associated valve for a Danfoss electrically operated rad valve. COuld use programmable stat to operate it but obviously main htg would need to be ON for this rad to be on.

Or see Antares for similar bits, much cheaper though not your standard make.

Or - probably the neatest cos there's no real plumbing or wiring - look hard into the Danfoss range. You'll see a device which sits on top of one of their TRV's, with a digital clock in it. During programmed hours it reduces the temperature by ( I think) 4 degrees C. Would probably be best option.

Excellent, I like the sound of the digital clock trv, I`ll look for that.
Thanks for your detailed reply.

Sponsored Links
Anyone know where I can buy one of these? - Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back