isolating electrical supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am having work done on CU by an electrician who informs me he is fully qualified. He tells me he needs to run new 25 mm tails back to electric meter but the question is that i looked at meter and it has tags and stickers on to stop the fuse being removed, is a qualified electrician allowed to remove this fuse or is he supposed to get in electric board. Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say qualified, have you checked he's part of a scheme? NINEIC, NAPIT, ECA???

if yes then he should be ok.

technically its only the leccy board who should be pulling the mains fuse as its there property...... but they often turn a blind eye to it. they may also give your spark permission to pull the fuse and then arrange for them to come and reseal it.

to be honest its common practice for sparks to pull the fuse, in the real world its too difficult to arrange for everyone to be at a property at the same time in order to do it all officially.

wouldnt worry bout it if he's a competent registered domestic spark and not just a mate of your uncle alfreds!

think its mr bermuda! :LOL:

just been reading mr bermuda's other post on changing CU. please dont attempt to pull the main fuse yourself. sorry if im being presumptuas here but it can be really dangerous ( especially with some older type fuse pullouts) even if you know what your doing!

Sponsored Links
yes its one of those things where you have to be sensible.

1: if the fuse carrier isn't plastic DO NOT TOUCH IT, ring the supplier ASAP
2: DO NOT pull it under load
3: DO NOT touch any metal bits while pulling it out.
4: if the fuse carrier looks in any way damaged DO NOT TOUCH IT, ring the supplier ASAP

really provided you do theese things its no more dangerous than pulling a fuse out of a wylex standard without turning off first (i know it tells you to switch off before handling fuses but does anyone take any notice of this)

ive heard stories of leccy board sparks been issued with visers, face shields and big insulated gloves as part of there standard PPE for removal of fuses.

anybody confirm?

would think they end up looking like those blokes in the army disarming landmines! :eek:

still, gotta be better than crossing your fingers though. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back