Isolating flat with shared water supply

6 Apr 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I own the middle flat of three in a converted terrace house. The three flats have a shared water supply from the mains, and the (only) internal stopcock in the downstairs flat cuts off the water to all 3 flats.

I need to do some refurbishment soon, and I am worried about having to cut the water without incurring the wrath of my neighbours. Is it easy for me to isolate my flat's water supply temporarily, e.g. by bypassing my pipes? Is this a common problem?

Sponsored Links
Find out where the water enters your flat and then you'll only need it off for 20 mins while you fit a new stopcock. Then you have complete control over your supply.

Good one from joe but you should have your own stoptap somewhere probably near the bath room

Have a good look for it :D
Sponsored Links
if you dont have a stopcock for your floor u could probly fit a tee joint to the rising main in the part that go's through your floor and put a stopcock after it then you wont ever have interupt the other floors again. :)
diagram: |
Thanks for your answers :) . Seems putting in a new stop cock would be the best way of sorting out my supply from below (or rather, interrupting downstairs). However, if I turn of the water in my flat I think it would turn off upstairs as well! Not sure, though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local