Isolator Switch Tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I am experiencing a similar problem. For the last 10 days and approx every 6 hours day and night the Isolator switch has tripped. (I checked the timings with a timer plugged into a socket which stops when power is off). I've removed single fuses from the mains board and left out for hours but it still happens. Could the Isolator switch be faulty as I cannot find a circuit fault ?

+++++++++++++++++++
Modertor's note:

Hello, vicar14 and welcome to the forums. Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules (incl. no. 20). I will split your post off.
(was formerly with //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66667

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
Please start by telling us everything that is written or engraved on the isolator you mention.

What circuits go off when it trips?

If you can put up a digital photo of the consumer unit/fusebox, and the area around it so we can see the meter and service head as well, that will help.

Also tell us all about all the recent electrical and other DIY jobs that have been done in the house, including plumbing and putting nails through walls and floors.

Have you recently had mice or a water leak?

Has it started to happen since you put the central heating on? Is there any sign of water near the CH circulating pump or the boiler?

Have you got any external lights or an electrical supply to a shed or external garage?

It sounds like you have a neutral to earth fault. Taking out fuses will not help. Taking out the plugs of all appliances, and switching off the immersion heater and boiler at their wall switches, may. Unplug all "watery" appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, kettles and steam irons for a start. Also if you have an electric cooker turn it off at the wall switch. If this stops the fault occurring you can plug your appliances back in, one at a time over several days, and see if you can identify which ones cause the trouble. It may be a combination of several.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
I've never had a mice leak. What's one of those? ;)

What a mouse does after a few beers..... Only they can't reach the porcelain even if their aim was good

Mice don't have bladders... so they just have a slight dribble, all the time.

Hence the smell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back