joining bewteen stair carpet and landing laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to lay a new flight of stair carpets. however, on the top landing of stairs, I have laid laminate floor. I am thinking of following options:

1) lay carpets from bottom all the way up to the riser (beneath the first nose from the top landing), while the entire landing is having laminate floor.

With this option, what edge trim can I use? I have read in another post that 'L' shape trim can be used, note sure what it looks like and how to use it?

2) lay carpets from bottom all the way up to the riser and, continue carpet on to the landing (may be 1 inch in the landing) and make a join in the landing with laminate floor.

With this option, I can use a connecter 'from laminate to carpet', but what is the safe distance for carpet to be in landing to make this type of transition from carpet to laminate. is 1 inch enough?

I appreciate for any help you may offer.

Many thanks & regards.

Sponsored Links
newdiy said:
2) lay carpets from bottom all the way up to the riser and, continue carpet on to the landing (may be 1 inch in the landing) and make a join in the landing with laminate floor.
Depending on your hall floor layout, I would use the same width of your stairscase and make it square. Example: approx' 900mm x 900mm carpet landing on top of your stairs, the problem you may have if you have laminated flooring to the top riser, a slippery area which you could fall down the stairs and coming up may be a trip hazard as the top riser is higher than the rest because of the thickness of the laminated flooring.

Thank you very masona. In the end, I have found a metal profiler in my local diy shop and use it to connect the stair carpet with laminate floor in the landing.

Sponsored Links
Can you send me a picture of your final prodduct? I am tossing around the same idea and would like to see how your transition looks. Do you have any "hind-sight" advise?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back