Joining laminate to stair carpet/where to buy cheap laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couple of quick questions... firstly, where would people recommend the purchase of cheap-ish (up to c. £10/sqm) laminate flooring, for laying on a newly-boarded bedroom/landing. Obviously, we have the sheds... but which one comes most highly recommended for laminate? What about IKEA? I actually live next door to flooring shop, which sells predominantly real-wood rather than laminate, but it does sell some... what would I gain by buying there rather than at a large multiple store? I like supporting independent stores... as long as it doesn't cost me money :confused:

My other question... I intend to lay carpet down my staircase, to join up to the laminate at the top and bottom of the stairs. Obviously dropping the carpet down the riser of the bottom step onto the laminate is no problem, but what about joining at the top of the stairs? I'm guessing that the joining thingie can't be placed too close to the top of the first stair since it could constitute a :!: tripping hazard :!: ? I have about a metre of landing at the same width as the staircase before it opens up into the landing proper, so could put the join there, so the staircase carpet would continue for about a metre past the top of the staircase. Alternatively, I suppose I could drop the laminate down the top riser and start the carpet from the tread of the first stair?

Any advice welcome!

Sponsored Links
Get a 'stair-nosing' for neat and safe finish.
But I don't think they come in a version small enough for cheap laminate and you'll pay as much for them as 2 - 3 sq m cheap laminate.
You get what you pay for ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back