joint tape on TE plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to put up some tapered edge plaster board and have got some tape for the joints. The trouble is i'm not sure how to stick it to the joints as it is not adhesive.

anybody know the right way to do this??

thanks

Sponsored Links
Go and get self adhesive tape.

You've brought cotton scrim. A pain in the backside IMO. f you eant to go ith cotton scrim then you need to apply some jointing compound and press the scrim into it.

Out of interest, why are you using tapered edge boards?

self adhesive joint tape is the best make life easier it has a brill grip i would use it again

FredFlintstone said:

Because they are the best boards to use. Scrim and adhesive are in a hollow so skimming is a doddle.

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
FredFlintstone said:

Because they are the best boards to use. Scrim and adhesive are in a hollow so skimming is a doddle.

There shouldn't be any adhesive sticking through the joint. Only joint cement if taping and jointing. If skimming the whole wall then the tapered edge is pointless since the scrim will be covered by the two coat skim you lay on after fixing the boards.

regards

Fred.

OK - the manufacturers are wrong and you are right. :rolleyes:

joe-90 said:
OK - the manufacturers are wrong and you are right. :rolleyes:

No, the purpose of tapered boards is to do away with skimming. You tape the joint, fill with jointing compound and sand smooth. If one chooses to skim then so be it but that kind of defeats the object of tapered edge boards.

And it's just my personal preference. I don't like tape and joint - skim every time for me. Better finish. More durable surface. But I still maintain that there's no need for tapered edge if the whole wall is to be skimmed.

Regards

Fred

can't see the point in using t.e. boards myself, particularly on walls where the ceiling's higher than 2400mm, as you will end up with a horizontal flush join anyhow.

as for non skim drylining, you still have to mess around mudding and sanding the nail heads as well as the joins. seems like a lot more fuss to me.

Fred. The difference is that you can skim in one coat instead of two.

I'd never skim in one coat - the finish is never as good as a two coat skim.

Basically hat you're saying is that two coat skimming is ony for s/e boards and all other skimming is one coat. Do youmone coat re-skims?

Regards

Fred

joe-90 said:
Fred. The difference is that you can skim in one coat instead of two.

one coat skim! ONE COAT SKIM!

are you for real. or is this a wind up?

and how do you go on with 9 foot ceilings Joe?

I can get a perfect finish on plasterboard in one coat. It's a perfectly flat finish to start with - so what's the problem? In a two coat system the first coat is a coat to even up uneven surfaces - but that's already been done on plasterboard.

if there are any potential plasterers reading this thread, please, PLEASE ignore the last two posts by joe-90, and do not try to skim in one coat, if this coat is to be the final finish for decoration. in other words, painted.

joe, that has to be one of the most unprofessional statements you have posted yet. and i thought internal mitred skirting boards was tough to beat. :rolleyes:

joe-90 said:
I can get a perfect finish on plasterboard in one coat. It's a perfectly flat finish to start with - so what's the problem? In a two coat system the first coat is a coat to even up uneven surfaces - but that's already been done on plasterboard.

I couldn't disagree more.

For me, the second coat is applied to smooth out any imperfections in the first. I would never, ever, apply just one coat. For the few mintes saved it's just not worth it when you see the final results. I have too much pride in my work to hav any wish to bodge it.

Can you tell me where the manufacturers state that t/e boards are for single coat skimming?

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one Joe.

Regards

Fred

Fred, joe tries to be controversial and in doing so attempts to bait people and reel them in.

as a side effect of joe's narcissistic and often child like behavior, some diyers reading his posts receive very poor and unprofessional advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back