junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can JB's be used to extend ring mains under the floor? We had a new kitchen installed several years ago and the 'kitchen electrician' as he called himself used junction boxes under the floor to extend the ring circuit. Is this acceptable practice. I've seen posts on different sites both condemning and ok'ing this practice.

Cheers

John

Sponsored Links
It'll work, providing he's extended the ring properly, the problem comes when you or the next spark you employ needs access the circuit connections for testing, etc. Whether under the floorboards counts as "accessible" or not is a grey area, but I would err on the side of "NO".

If the connections were crimped, they wouldn't need to be accessible. Either that or mark the boards to show that there is a joint there and hope you don't need to prise them up when/if the connection fails!

Thanks for that. We'd gone to a reputable local firm instead of B&Q as previously (B&Q kitchen was OK though - no problems) I ripped out the old kitchen to save money and the wife and kids moved out for a couple of days. UNFORTUNATELY the company had gone bump and not told us. The salesman agreed to fit the kitchen we'd ordered at a reduced rate but didn't realise this meant no electrician - hence the 'kitchen electrician'. I think ratchet crimpers and heat shrink may be employed in the near future.

Cheers

John

Sponsored Links
baldersj said:
P.S. "Kitchen Electrician"? I can hear the jangling of spurs...

I wonder if it was this bloke :LOL: he knows about "electrics"

images

Yes, i know its Yul Bryner from the film westworld

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back