junction boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There appears to be a lot of junction boxes in my house, these have been fitted to extend the ring main, there are about 8 which I have come accross, some of them seem to have ben needlessly used as the cables could have been joined at socket, probably used to save time..also none of them are screwed down, could this be classed as a danger, or is there no limit to the amount of boxes on a circuit, also do you think I should screw them all down.

Sponsored Links
J-boxes are often are used to make alterations without needing to chase out and re-plaster where the existing wiring is ok. Could be the rings were extended, or a set of radial circuits were converted into rings. The gas board used to prefer it's sparkies to use calibrated crimps for simple joining but that would require some kind of additional sheathing to provide two layers of insulation.

I'd check the insulation of cables, tightness of terminals, and that the circuits are all rings or correctly fused radials and then leave them alone.

As for screwing them down, all wiring in voids is supposed to be "central" so someone sawing the floorboards or screwing into the ceiling will not damage it. So yes, your J-box should be screwed centrally to a joist and all of the cable in the entire property should be clipped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back