just hung a door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i used t do joinery years ago and i cant think how to rectify this problem. Ive hung a door and its a great fit except who ever put the frame on didnt from what i can see plumb the side that the isnt hinged.

What happens now is when the door is closed the top hits the door stop but the bottom isnt. I know i can adjust the doorstop but is there any other way cos the door is slightly past the frame on the bottom and id like it flush.

Sponsored Links
not quite shure
but i think you are saying the frame is twisted sideways [out of wynd]

first check its not the door!!!

usual way round this is move the opposite corner half of the difference the same direction as the bow to half it and possibly move the whole door back slightly
just depends on the exact problem
but check the door first ;)

yeah ive checked the door its fine.. and put a plumb line down the frame and its twisted by 10-12 mill.

In the end i had to 50/50 the difference on the bad side by adjusting the door stop. It really dosent look as bad now but i think ill adjust it using the correct method. More bloody work tho :)

Is it an oldish house? I've lived in two houses that were slightly tilted by wartime bombs nearby (the earth moves in a wave-like ripple)

Sponsored Links
i know its more work but the idea is to move the diagonal corner half the difference[6mm]
then if you move the other 2 corners the opposite direction off line one hinge in one hinge out
you finnish up with all 4 corners 3mm out but lineing up centraly on the door frame

but obviously without moving the hinges youve moved the top 6mm and the bottom 6mm opposit direction dont suppose any one will notice ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back