just installed an rf stat, a couple of questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
High guys, just installed a salus rf thermostat/programmer to a ferroli f30b, which seems to work ok. Just a couple of quick questions which the manual is a little short on. Below is a link to the stat

http://www.salus-tech.com/rt500rf.htm

The unit has built in frost protection, do i need to have this on, what is the purpose of it?

Being use to just using the built in clock on the boiler for timer setting ie
1 on at 8
2 off at 10
3 12
4 12
5 12
6 12
7 on at 5
8 of at 10

the new stat gives you the option of time and temp so i assume that it monitors that temp at that particular time so i set it like this

1 8:00 21 deg
2 10:00 21 deg
3 12:00 0 deg
4 5:00 21 deg
5 10:00 21 deg

Is this the way to get similar results from what i was doing on the boiler clock, i really cant see a way of turning the heating off whih is whay i have 3 at 0 deg.

Or is the idea to have the heating on all day?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
0800 -> 21 deg
1000 -> 10 deg
1700 -> 21 deg
2200 -> 10 deg

The stat never actually turns the boiler off; experiments have shown that keeping a system "ticking over" at a low temperature will keep the building fabric warm; which saves energy as this is the biggest volume to heat up from cold.

To turn off; simply set the stat to between 6 and 10 degrees and you'll be fine.

Ignore the frost protection; basically; it will turn the system on when you hit about 5 degrees (Depending on manufacturer) even if your stat is set to 0 -> Marketing gimmick in my opinion.

Andy, you need to come to terms with the purpose of a programmable stat.

Its not to turn the boiler on and off ! That used to be done by a timeclock!

Its to set the temperatures at different times of day to suit the lifestyle of the occupants.

In Brum Ferolli used to be every third boiler installed during the eighties. They had a fit and forget reputation.

I wonder how they survive now as I see few being fitted in Brum any more and later models seem to have had silly repeat faults with venturis and sensors.

Must go back to Stoney Lane for a balti sometime. See if that big black WPC is still around too.

Tony

Agile said:
Andy, you need to come to terms with the purpose of a programmable stat.

Its to set the temperatures at different times of day to suit the lifestyle of the occupants.

In Brum Ferolli used to be every third boiler installed during the eighties. They had a fit and forget reputation.

I wonder how they survive now as I see few being fitted in Brum any more and later models seem to have had silly repeat faults with venturis and sensors.

Must go back to Stoney Lane for a balti sometime. See if that big black WPC is still around too.

Tony

Thanks Tony, i just dont want massive gas bills and since im not in all day i really dont want the boiler on during these hours.

With regards to the balti, i know London has many cultures but you know you cant beat a brum Balti, not sure about the black wpc though

Andy

Sponsored Links
Agile wrote:

Not strictly true Tony as the stat will close the zone valve which will, in turn, shut down the boiler if no other zones are calling for heat?

See what you're saying though ;)

Hi there,
how easy are these to fit ? would I be able to carry out this work myself. I have some basic electrical skills, although im a little concerned about the electronics of the boiler not being compatable.

would there be any extra considerations with regards to a baxi potterton boiler ? (main 30 he)

could anyone point me in the right direction on this matter ?

many thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back