Keeping a new fence and posts in line in a long garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon :)

If you erect a fence, 6ft in this case if it matters, and the garden is 40 feet long, how do you keep the posts perfectly lined up the length of the garden? Would you use a taught string line all that distance? Or what is the best method for this :oops:

Thanks all :D

Sponsored Links
A length of line has always worked for me, and use this to line up the posts. Measure a panel at a time to ensure you get the posts in the correct location.

put your posts in at each end as you should know the boundary points. Taught string line gives you the line to work to. Gravel boards give you the distance for each panel. If your not using boards then cut a piece of batten to length and use that to ensure you get the same distance every time.

If your not using boards then cut a piece of batten to length and use that to ensure you get the same distance every time.[/quote]

Or remove the weather cap off the top of the panel and use that as you distance marker.
As already said use a brickies line from start point to end point to get a straight run on the fence line.

Sponsored Links

Also after I have removed the knackered existing 6x6 fence all around, should I pull the concrete out from the original post holes and re use or do a half panel to start and continue to use fresh holes?

leave it and re position the panels to start in a different place if possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back