Keeping handle on hollow internal door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not long after moving into our house one handle on an internal door pulled out of the door and I have been unable to find a way to permanently fix it back on.

Polyfilla works for a couple of months but the panels are very thin plywood/hardboard and and screws don't grip well.

Would hollow wall anchors work? Even if I use them on the handle on both sides of the door (ie will there be enough room inside the door)? Or does anybody have any other solutions. It's driving me mad!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can get a plasplug specially made for hollow doors (it mushrooms out on the inside of the door when you tighten the screw).

There will shelves full of them at your DIY shop. I have an idea they are light green.

More expensively, you can get some doorknobs that are fastened to the spindle. That means that the knob on one side of the door is prevented from pulling out by the knob on the other side, and does not depend on the escutcheon screws. Very handy for a heavy door or one that is yanked a lot. You can recognise these because there will be a small screw head visible under the shank of the knob. This is the screw that grips the spindle.

Thanks for your reply, when I looked in B&Q there wasn't anything suitable for doors but there were a lot of gaps in that section so I'll try again to see if they've restocked.

Best wishes

Heather

I used to work for a very large door company before I retired.
All our hollow doors had a lock block fitted for that purpose.
I wonder if the door has been fitted the wrong way round.
It won`t help you now but just a thought.
JonB

Sponsored Links
As JonB said every door has a lock block, so who ever fitted the door has put the latch/handle on the wrong side.

PS I done it 2 weeks ago :oops: i started drilling out for the latch then shoot forward oops :LOL: it was too late to switch the door round as i had hung it. So when i put the handles on lets just say if they had a domestic and opened/shut the door the handle would be in their hands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back