Kick back using hole cutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When using a 15cm hole cutter on a piece of 6x2 I am having a problem stopping the cutter from kicking back as a guide it through. It nearly breaks my arm!! are there any tips? The cutter is new so I know it's sharp.
Any help appreciated :eek:

Sponsored Links
Don't know if my drill has variable speed. It's a Makita D handled one. will check when I get home. Ta anyway.

Try and not put any pressure on the drill,let the cutter do the cutting on it own and move the drill up & down while drilling.

Sponsored Links
What you need to do is drill in from one side until the pilot bit comes through then turn it over and finish the hole from the opposite side. Just wondered , how are you cutting a 6 inch wide hole in a 6 inch wide timber ?

well spotted DAZB, in that case i wonder if he is using a 15mm hole cutter as opposed to a 15mm flat bit

Yes well spotted, my integrity is intact, just my mathematical inadequacy has been exposed. It leaves a 10mm gap each side so must be a smaller holecutter!!
What is a flat bit you mentioned? is it a different way of doing holes, I have tried using a jigsaw but don't get a good circle. Any way it's for a birdhouse so my excuse is that it keeps it rustic!!
Thanks for your advice
GLOCKO
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FXFB13.jpg

Wood flat bit

(Breezer's why didn't you tell me before how to do this picture!!!)

Thanks masona, can you really get those flat bits as big as 10-15 cm? The ones I have only go up to about 5cm (don't quote me on the maths guys!!!)
I find that when I use that bit it really rags up the edge as it comes out the other side of the wood.

The biggest wood flat bit I've seen are approx up to 25mm and really for rough work e.g. cutting holes though floor joist for electric cable etc...

Best to use a jig-saw for cutting hole size 10-15cm.Where a lot a people go wrong with this they put too much pressure on the blade and the blade starts bending outward + burnt blade.Like all handsaw + power tool saw + jig-saw you must let the blade do the cutting by taking your time.Neater cuts & blade will last longer.You can also get narrow blade for cutting circle.If you want hole size 10-15mm !! then use brace + bit on both side of the wood for clean cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back