Kingspan septic tank not working

If your confident using a multimeter to measure mains voltage, I'd start by opening that cover on the left with the sticker "off isolator ok" and check for voltage at the incoming terminals. Then you know if the problem is inside this panel or the lack of supply before it.

Sponsored Links
14CDBF95-BDC0-401F-80D0-1F8471650A25.jpeg
The plot thickens.. just back to test and the unit is receiving power.. I’m unsure if this was the case prior or not as I had the consumer unit tripped and the switch light in the below photo is only visible with the case off.

Maybe a rest from having the power off has fixed it?! I’ll go outside tomorrow and see if the tank is turning. I’m not overly hopeful but will see and report back.

Ooo brilliant I didn’t even spot that! Just held it down for around 30sec’s haven’t seen anything different happen but will check the tank in the morning. Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
The segment display should be illuminated when operating, either dots or dashes depending on the error state.

Have you checked all the fuses?

Interestingly it appears the kingspan beacon isn’t connected to this, that would provide an early warning the unit wasn’t operating correctly (the battery backup seen at the top of the inside of the run it provides a few hours of power to run the flashing beacon)

Hi, I haven’t tested the fuses yet as I’m not 100% sure how to?

This is the 4 fuses and the meter that I have..

1A13D860-32E4-4002-96E7-27006609CA8F.jpeg
886F7F80-5970-4CCF-853B-C36E80B26D94.jpeg

Updated: tested the fuses and one has failed.. will replace and see if it resolves

Haha it’s old school!

I’ve replaced the failed fuse. Powered on, hit reset (no visual acknowledgement)

Waited and then retested fuses, all still okay.

Still no movement on the tanks discs..

Does anyone know how often they turn or when the control panel springs into action?

Thanks

Just spoke to kingspan and the blades should be turning all the time on the unit. So it not the case that they start at intervals.

Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet an arrange one of there engineers. Gutted!

£328 call out plus parts. (Joke) A control panel alone is £224! when one sold on eBay for £20 last week grr.

Thank anyhow guys for all your help. Greatly appreciated!

How does your tank discharge? Has the level increased to the point where water could have ingressed the motor?

Could you safely disconnect the cable from the control unit to the motor (as seen in the bottom of the above photos) and recheck / replace any blown fuses? This will rule out the control unit.

As previously mentioned don’t carry on if you’re not happy - you may be able to find a local engineer who will help for less than the price provided by kingspan

Hello mate and thanks for the continued help.

The tank discharges via the pipe in the below photo (as far as I know?) Previous owner said you could drink from it!

The level isnt very high and no ingress should have incurred.

I'm happy to disconnect the external motor cable... Would the removal of the 'F4' fuse have the same effect?

IMG_2532.JPG
IMG_9448.JPG

Discs should be rotating all the time as you have been advised. Possible though if the unit has been stationary for some time, the discs are unbalanced, i.e. the bottom half are heavier as they've been sitting in water, so the motor is struggling to provide the required starting torque, and thus blowing something.

If power is getting to the unit, it's maybe worth removing the drive belt and checking if the discs rotate freely before doing anything else. These units usually have grease points on the bearings, if these are dry, it may be struggling to rotate, hence your issues. They are heavier than you think, seen one lifted one out of a larger version that serves a small village. The engineer estimated 7 tonnes. Crane was rated to lift 12 tonnes, and wasn't happy, driver estimated he'd got around 11 on the hook!

099641E4-6FE0-4918-9EDA-1F6A6D2F967C.jpeg
Wow!

Thanks very much Hugh, do I remove the motor to disconnect the drive belt? I'm unsure how to remove / reinstate the tension..?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back