Kitchen Downlighter installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have been using this wonderful site for a while but am am totally new to posting a question so please be patient. Here goes. I am putting in 3 (could increase to 5) mains 50watt downlighters in my kitchen (not purchased yet). I will also have a main light. This is fed from a bedroom down into the single storey kitchen extension. This has its own switch. From this main light I take the live to first downlight, then live from downlight 1 into 2 and so on into final one. Switch wire will go from downlight 1 to own switch on wall. I purchased a roll of electrical flex (twin and earth), but it is not 1.5mm, it's 1mm. Will I have to rewire with 1.5mm? It was very difficult to get wires in the cavity as there is no access from above and I had to cut strategic holes in the ceiling. I'd hate to have to replace the wires, just did it on Sunday. Will 5 downlights make any difference ? I have noticed a lot of people have suggested using junction boxes.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back