Kitchen Downlights

S

Stogie 37

I want to fit 8 downlights in my kitchen but first of all i was wondering what lighting circuit and lights could somebody recommend (Mains Halogen or LV Halogen spotlights) and what size wattage wise, my kitchen is 10ft wide x 22ft long because obviously i don't want it unnecessarily over bright or not bright enough. I'm familiar with the Daisy chain arrangement on the Mains Halogen set but not clued up on the LV side of things( such as size of cable for certain distances apart between each spotlight and what transformer etc) Any help would be much appreciated, a diagram would would be great!

Sponsored Links
Don't forget that if you're sending SELV across the room to take account of higher currents - 100W @ 12V = 8.34A.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Don't forget that if you're sending SELV across the room to take account of higher currents - 100W @ 12V = 8.34A.
My apologies for acting blond but regarding this answer to my question i don't understand it, i'm no electrician, all i want know is should i go for 8 mains halogen or 8 LV downlights for my kitchen and at what size wattage wise and cable or transformer sizes? I would be really grateful for some suggestions!

securespark said:
I have no experience of Downlighters so all i was concerned about was shadows being cast in certain areas so i was thinking 8 downlights running adjacent along the 22ft long x 10ft wide kitchen would be ok, like i put in my original question if you could give me recommendations i'd be really grateful. I'm just a keen D.I.YER who likes to know how things are done!

Stogie,

Look around for alternatives mate as downlighters are inefficient, expensive to run and give a poor llight.

They are a passing fad, which I would be happy to see pass. Go to your local B&Q to see their alternatives.

newspark_paul said:
Stogie,

Look around for alternatives mate as downlighters are inefficient, expensive to run and give a poor llight.

They are a passing fad, which I would be happy to see pass. Go to your local B&Q to see their alternatives.
Really i'm surprised, i'll do just that then thanks Newspark!

Stogie 37 said:
securespark said:
I have no experience of Downlighters so all i was concerned about was shadows being cast in certain areas so i was thinking 8 downlights running adjacent along the 22ft long x 10ft wide kitchen would be ok, like i put in my original question if you could give me recommendations i'd be really grateful. I'm just a keen D.I.YER who likes to know how things are done!

Downlighters do just that, they light downwards and not sideways so much of the area is lit by reflected light. So as you fear shadows will be cast.

Flourescent tubes give the best over all lighting for a working area such a a kitchen. Or you can use compact ones.

Down lighter bulbs do have different qualities, on GU10 240v ones there is a choice of reflective angles, 25 or 50 degrees.

For a 22 x 10 ft ceiling space, I'd go for 10 bulbs.

Two rows of 5 spaced 3ft, 7ft, 11ft, 15ft, 19ft on the length and the pairs at 3ft and 7ft on the width. Having them any nearer the edge of the width will prevent counter top and cooker areas for being lit correctly.

You might want to consider some counter lighting under the wall cabinets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back