Kitchen Pelmet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has nayone experience of fitting a kitchen pelmet. Recently fitted a new kitchen (part by professional, part myself) and have only the top plemet to fit.

The wall units run in a regular L shape, however instead of 90 degree in the corner, we have an angled unit (must be at circa 33 degrees?)

The top pelmet is shaped and sits at a angle into the roof, so I know its not as simple as cutting the corners at 33 degrees (or whatever the angle is).

I have been told that it will need to be cut at 45 and 33 degrees at the same time?

Anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
no idea what angle but use an odd scrap of wood and if you get it wrong no loss

stevenrafferty said:
I have been told that it will need to be cut at 45 and 33 degrees at the same time?
No, they both need to be the same angle.

Put a ruler on top of the wall unit flush to the front then draw a line and the same on the angle unit, you should then two line meeting together then line up from that point to the front corner of the unit, that is the angle you want. Also use a sliding bevel to check the angle on the mitre block, not sure if I explain it right !

What you are needing to do is cut a Compound mitre . It is done by using a mitre saw and setting your 33 degree cut and then tilting the blade to 45 degrees ( or vice versa ) which will give you what you need but like breezer says just try it out on some scrap timber first and most importantly measure it very carefully and if anything cut the pelmet a little on the large side first and then you can take a bit more off each time until it's right.

Sponsored Links
I'm not certain, but I don't think you need a compound mitre.

I'm guessing that the profile looks quite flat, but sits on it's edge (looks a little like coving?)

Makes for a pain in the jacksee and requires a decent size mitre saw to work.

As for the angles, (kitchen is an 'L' shape) a straight forward mitre (90 degs)
consists of two 45 deg cuts. So just divide the no of cuts into 90 degs. One of the most common cuts is 22.5 degs. This is common for say a right angle that has had the point cut off.

It sometimes helps to rough out on a piece of paper before you start!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back