Kitchen socket circuit recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am soon to be running new cables into our kitchen.

Assuming diversity is used and standard 2.5mm T&E cables with the following appliances;

Dishwasher (Cold water feed only)
Washing machine (Cold & Hot Feed)
Tumble dryer
Fridge/Freezer (USA Style)
Microwave
Toaster
Kettle
Waste Disposal

How many circuits would you normally install? (Bear in mind existing kitchen had all on same circuit as rest of house!)

And which circuit should I run a FCU for a Combi-boiler off?

Sponsored Links
You should be ok with a seperate ring for the kitchen (RCD) protected of course. Depeneds on the loading of your TD WM and DW and of course as you rightly say if they are switched on at the same time (diversity)
For the combi boiler try not to place it on the RCD side of the board. perhaps spur off your upstairs ring(if its not RCD protected) it all depends on where your CU is (convenience etc)
Are you fully aware of safe cable routing zones and that fact that this is notifiable work (Part P)

RobFurn said:
You should be ok with a seperate ring for the kitchen (RCD) protected of course. Depeneds on the loading of your TD WM and DW and of course as you rightly say if they are switched on at the same time (diversity)
For the combi boiler try not to place it on the RCD side of the board. perhaps spur off your upstairs ring(if its not RCD protected) it all depends on where your CU is (convenience etc)
Are you fully aware of safe cable routing zones and that fact that this is notifiable work (Part P)

BCO Notified on Building Notice that I will be completing work, will get them to inspect at 1st fix.
I have PDF document from internet showing safe cable zones, horizontal, vertical and 150mm from walls etc. Also document showing positions for notching/drilling joists.

It is definitely a good idea to have a non-RCD rdial for the freezer.

While you're at it, have a 10mm radial for the cooker in case you decide to buy a huge range one day, and a 6mm radial in case you decide to get a separate double oven.

I have cooker radials to each side wall of my kitchen, so the position of the cooker can be swapped at whim.

Run your socket ring horizontally all round the kitchen 150mm/200mm above worktop height. this is very economical in labour in materials. Every 600mm have a double socket or else a 20A DP switch feeding an unswitched socket below for undercounter appliances (or else an FCU feeding a flex plate above, for the cooker hood and extractor fan).

Sponsored Links
I've pretty much got that, we have 2 x 32a (6mm) supplies, one for the island hob and one for the high level double oven.

Also plenty of sockets and DP switches for integrated applicances on the diagram I have drawn up.

If you are having an Island it is useful to have a few sockets on it for odd things like mixers

Perhaps island is incorrect, more like a peninsular.

I had thought about sockets on there, the closest ones will be on the nearby wall which should be fine (Otherwise they would be too close to the electric hob)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back