kitchen sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
im looking for some info if anyone can help.
im installing more sockets in the kitchen, at the moment i have chased the wall above worktop for the extra sockets and fcu`s, do i need to protect the cable from socket to work top?, can i just plaster over them. the wall is like concrete real hard work. what i need to know is do i have to chase the walls beneath the work tops?, can i clip the cables to the wall instead?, and is there any regs to what height the cables must be from floor.
thank you.
regards :)

Sponsored Links
It is not advisable to simply plaster over cable, it should be installed within plastic conduit. The most common type is rectangular and can be clipped to the wall using cable clips. Ensure you use continues sections and let the end of it run into the mounting box slightly. Under the worktop, it would probably be acceptable to simply clip the cable to the wall, However if it is vulnerable, I would enclose it in mini - trunking.

its not just un advisable, its against regs to not cover it, unless you feel like cutting a 5ch deep channel.....
it should be fine under worktop level as long as it is clipped secure, but it might be an idea like BR says to use trunking

supersparks said:
its not just un advisable, its against regs to not cover it, unless you feel like cutting a 5ch deep channel.....
it should be fine under worktop level as long as it is clipped secure, but it might be an idea like BR says to use trunking

Plastic conduit is about as much use "as tits on fish", it provides hardly any protection.....

Sponsored Links
i never said it did :confused:
i personly prefer metal capping btw

One advantage of correctly installed plastic conduit is that the cable can be replaced at a later date if required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back