Kitchen Tap moving

2 Jan 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Kitchen tap fitted with new kitchen 3 years ago, tap has one spout for hot and cold, the whole unit is now moving.
Looked at from underneath, very cramped and hard to see, it appears that the tap is held in place by a single nut, which I have tightened by hand, then when i wanted to put a box spanner on the nut, this is proving impossible, due to there being at least 2 inches of thread and the two water pipes are so close the I can not get the box spanner on the nut, there is no room around the nut to get an open or ring spanner on either.
The only solution I can think of is to try undoing the two water pipes, then tightening the tap nut, but I can not see the pipe connections very well, there are signs of solder on the pipes.
Would any one know if these pipes would be connected by compresion nuts or soldered.
thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Needs a special box spanner, or long socket. They're about 10mm, but vary. Plumbers merchants sell 3 box spanners for several £.
Sometimes you can reach them with a baby adjustable
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your reply.
Have managed to get a better sight of the situation and it appears that each pipe has a reducing peise that is soldered to bottom of taps.
One pipe is ok as it goes straight up to the tap, clear of the thread,the other pipe is the problem, it has been run behind the first pipe and goes up to the tap at an angle thus touching the thread that I need to get the box spanner onto.
Think I will have to cut the 15mm pipe, pull the pipe away from the thread, tighten the nut and reconnect the pipe with a straight compression joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links