Kitchen ventilation cooker hood or extraction fan.

25 Jul 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I need some guidence and I'm not sure if this is the correct forum section so sorry if it isn't!

I have just moved into a ground floor flat. In the kitchen there was a very old, disgusting, dripping with grease, non working extraction fan mounted in the ceiling. I removed it since it was so gross. The kitchen is very small and doesn't have any windows. Only a door into the hall which I have subsequently removed to allow more room in the kitchen. The problem I am having is I have been reading up on ventilation and it seems by building regs I need to have some sort of ventilation. But being a ground floor flat, there is very limited space between my ceiling and the floor of the flat above. (120mm) I have been trying to find a shallow low profile fan, but obvisouly they are not powerful enough for a kitchen, and the only ones that are, are huge, ugly and not surface mounted.

Ideally, I would like to get a cooker hood, but have no means to vent the extracted air out the room. Being a flat I cannot cut holes in the outside wall. I have just seen a post about recirculating cooker hoods. So finally here is my question; would this solve my problem? Can a recirculating cooker hood be used to just filter the air, or do I still need to have outside ventilation?

Or can anyone recommend a shallow axial, centrifugal fan that looks good, and will fit in a 115mm deep hole?

Thanks for listening, sorry about the length!
Sponsored Links
Do you have a gas cooker or gas hob? If you do you will need purpose fitted ventilation for it if the kitchen is as small as you describe and has no opening windows or door to outside.
Yep, gas cooker and gas hob, but I intend to get a dual fuel cooker and hob at some point.

Also has combi boiler in the kitchen which is flued to the outside, which was done when the flats were built.

Ok, well I better have a look for some nice fans then I suppose!

Cheers for the reply.
The air vent for the cooker/hob must be a purpose made gas approved air vent, not an extractor type vent.
Sponsored Links
In a kitchen with no purpose ventilation or openable door or window to outside, I would'nt fit a gas hob or oven.
I would however advize fitting electric appliance and a standard extractor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local