Kitchen Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am currently planning the wiring for my kitchen and have been reading all the very useful posts on here. I do still have a few questions and assumptions that I want to check - it is only a small kitchen so I want to keep what is visible as clean and simple as possible. I am aware of part P and will be getting BC sign-off.

How close does a FCU have to be to the appliance? Can it be mounted on the wall behind a floor or wall unit - with a cutout in the back of the cupboard to give access or does it have to be fully visible above the worksurfaces?

From what I have read, an oven less than 3kw can be plugged into a 13a socket on the main ring. I assume that the fuse in the plug negates the need for the fcu? Is this only acceptable if the socket is above the worksurface? Is it better practice to take a spur from the ring to an fcu with an oven outlet?

Do appliances (dishwasher, washing machine) need an fcu if their socket is under the worksurface or can they just be plugged in with the correct fused plug?

Can I have one fcu that isolates the dishwasher, washing machine, hood and electric starter for gas hob?

Is it ok to extend a cable by having a box with a blanking plate and the cable coming into that and joined with the correctly rated terminal block?

I am aware of the regs concerning running of cable within walls except am unsure whether it is ok to have two cables crossing each other (ie light switch cable running vertically crossed by the ring running horizontally). I can't see a reason why not but it doesn't 'feel' nice!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back