1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen worktop for a work bench top?

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by d000hg, 11 Jun 2020.

1. d000hg

d000hg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A while back I watched a guy build a nice work bench. Metal frame but the top was made of about a dozen lengths of 2x4 on edge, glued together to make a short of laminate. Then it all got planed smooth.

I was wondering, it wouldn't look as nice but what about using kitchen worktop? It's quite cheap and pretty strong as long as it's supported.
    I was thinking about the idea of doubling up two pieces so you can really beat on it, fit a vise, etc. Bolt them together or perhaps glue them like a sandwich.

Does it sound reasonable? Any advice welcome

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They’d crumble surely if made of chipboard?

4. Old Salt

Old Salt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have worktop as my bench. You just need to think about how much bashing you are going to do.

Attached Files:

5. Stivino

Stivino

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I also have second hand kitchen worktop as a bench in my shed. I don't hammer the living daylights out of it but, I imagine that with proper support, it would take a good bashing.

6. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My bench is about 4 x 3 feet
    It's just 18mm chipboard cut from a single sheet and glued/screwed together. 2x1 timber as edging
    I have a 2' square of steel if I was babging on it. 4x3 frame and legs plus a 6" vice

Kitchen worktop is ok but I wouldn't buy it for a workshop- if it's free, fine

7. d000hg

d000hg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's any kind of leverage/twisting I'm worried about... they're pretty rugged under compression? Of curse you can buy solid wood worktops but then the cost saving is gone... unless you can find someone getting rid of one in a refit.

8. martin hill

martin hill

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Go for a freebie on gumtree as regards to the kitchen worktop. Mark out where vice will be and cut this out of the the sheet of mdf then screw on the sheet 12mm mdf to the worktop. When it totally knackered unscrew and pop on another sheet.

9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links