Knocking a load bearing wall through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 2 up 2 down terraced property with a load bearing wall separating the dining and living room. The majority of the neighbours have taken this wall out and I am wanting to do the same. The problem is I cannot find a structural engineer or builder with the time to do it. So would like advice on doing it myself. The house is around 100 years old with wooden joists supporting the floor and a 3ft drop below the house. Do I use 4 acrows either side of the wall with planks of wood top and bottom of the acrows. Start taking the top of the wall out and cement a RSJ in place. Before taking the rest of the wall down. Any constructive advice would be more than welcome.

Sponsored Links
If its any help,i am doing the same job to my house.
Building control will have to be imformed about this and they will want to see Structural Engineers calculations for the steel work and padstones etc.
You cant guess this and just 'bung up' a rsj and besides you will need building control to sign the job off before you can sell the house any time in the future

speak to building control for gods sake. If you get it wrong, underestimate the loading on the wall, the bending moment of the steel etc then you are going to regret not waiting or looking a bit harder for a builder or engineer. THE REMOVAL OF THE WALL IS NOT AN EASY JOB TO ATTEMPT ON YOUR OWN FOR THE FIRST TIME AND THE WAY THE QUESTION HAS BEEN POSED PROVES THIS!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back